𝟐 - 𝐍𝐨 𝐂𝐥𝐚𝐬𝐬

Since the campus was on lockdown, I suddenly had a lot of spare time for myself. I knew the break wouldn't be permanent, so I decided to be productive today and work on assignments I had due before the accident. I had finished that very early on in the day and lazed around the apartment for the remaining time, but now I had to get ready for work.

 I ordered a ride, since I didn't have a car, and it was too dangerous to be traveling on the bus after I got off at night. I rode an awkwardly silent thirty minutes to work, with fifteen minutes 'til my shift. I go to the back to change into my uniform, black fitted slacks, a white button-down shirt, and apron. I tied my hair into a tight ponytail and went out to my section to ensure they were clean. Assuring myself they were in good shape, I went to clock in. 

As my shift started, I scoped out my two tables to see if they were occupied; one was. I walk up to the couple, seemingly on a date, and recite my usual script,

"Hi, welcome to The Riz. My name's Mya, and I will be your server today. What can I get you started with?", with my hand poised on my notepad ready to jot down their order.

After a couple seconds of silence, I looked up at the two who seemed...lost in each other's eyes. I mentally sighed, annoyed at their behavior, 'It's going to be like that is it?'

"Well, I see you need some more consideration. I'll be back shortly, when you've given it more thought."

I then go to my next table, which has been occupied as I dealt with the lovestruck couple. In the booth, an older gentleman and a woman that looked to be about my age. I go to introduce myself, but he cuts me off with a wave of his hand and a haughty voice.

"We'll take a bottle of your most expensive wine."

I want to roll my eyes at his attempts at impressing the girl, but I resist and instead put on a smile that is faker than Dyllan's entire personality,

"Of course, sir, that will be our thirty-year red wine and is four-hundred dollars."

I nearly break out in a Cheshire grin as I see his eyes bug out a little at the mention of the pricing. 'That's what I thought, you cheap bastard, just a predator and a fraud.'

"I'll get that right away sir, would you like an appetizer with that? I suggest the cheese platter, it's an assortment of cheeses that would pair nicely with your wine."

"We will take that also.", the girl speaks up with a greedy glint in her eyes toward the man and waves dismissively at me.

I fight to keep the smile on my face as I say through gritted teeth, "Of course ma'am I'll get right on that."

I turn to head toward the bar handing a ticket to the bartender and to the kitchen window to place the order. I go to the lovebirds' table, and they finally order something. The night goes by in a blur of expensive-looking clothes, entitlement, and straight-out disrespect. At eight I clock out and head to the back to change back into my clothes. I ordered a ride back, and an hour later I was home, had eaten a quick dinner, changed, and in bed. 

The police had called me in the middle of the week in the early half of my shift, and I had to answer their questions on how the professor was and if there was anything suspicious that I had noticed that day. Other than that, I had the same routine for the rest of the week: school, work, rest, and repeat. 

Sunday, though, broke the pattern of monotony. The difference was the set of dark brown, borderline black eyes that had been swimming in my subconscious since I'd first seen them.

————————————————————————————

i couldn't help myself. 

Q: what's your favorite color?

i have several, but the main one is black.