𝟒 - 𝐒𝐢𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞 𝐑𝐢𝐝𝐞 𝐇𝐨𝐦𝐞

Ever since the first surprise encounter, his presence was a constant in my work routine. In his time there he supplied me with energy and endless amusement. I was warming up to him and learning his personality. A plus, as well, was that since the first night he'd left a whopping tip and a meal for me, always disappearing as I readied his orders and leaving a note. Due to me amassing a fair collection of these charming notes I'd been putting them in my top drawer for safekeeping. Two weeks had passed in a blur of online assignments, endless emails, chattering customers, and him. On Friday, two days before the campus was being reopened to the public by the Police Department, he had asked me,

"Since I am always here, and I know when you get off- "

I was a little disturbed he had remembered that little detail but let him continue, nevertheless. He might have mistaken my pause for caution and tried further explaining himself.

"You've mentioned when you got off work in passing and some of the people on the wait staff have told me also, you know I think they are trying to hook us up- never mind that, back to the point. Why don't I drop you off back to your place since it is already dark out by then, I wouldn't want anything bad to happen to you."

That's certainly a generous offer but I'm sure you have better things to do than carting around some stranger."

He grabbed his chest dramatically, as if he were in pain, "You wound me, Mya, I would've thought after all this time and all that food we would be more than strangers, associates, or maybe even estranged friends."

I smile slightly at his antics.

"Besides, I am one-hundred percent certain I have no plans for tonight, I have a lot of free time, what can I say?"

I almost laughed at his words and decided to tease him, "Are you sure you have a lot of free time? I have trouble thinking every second of your day is not bombarded with compliments from girls.", I lean in toward him and whisper conspiratorially,

"I've seen Anna ogling you since the second time you came here."

He takes my jokes in with good humor laughing loudly, causing a few heads in the restaurant to turn towards us.

"Whatever," he says with a wave dismissing my words, "I'm ready to pay anyhow, pick whatever you want from the menu. While you do that, think about my offer, ok?"

I silently nod and turn away to complete my task, thinking. 'What's the harm in just taking this one ride from him, he seems to only have my best interest at heart. Besides, I've talked to the guy almost every day, and he hasn't done anything noteworthy that could be a sign that he's a danger. Also, I have been eating up his money, fulfilling his rather simple request is the least I can do to start to pay him back.' I ring his meal and my order up and bring the bill to him.

"I have thought it over and I- the ride would be nice, thank you Kohl."

As soon as I said it, he broke out in a wide sparkling grin and his expression triggered a sort of countdown in my mind. I finished my shift in a daze and was distracted by the time ticking away in my brain, while Kohl patiently waited. He had paid and tipped me a long time ago and was now scrolling on his phone to waste time. The unusual excitement in my mind was fractured a few times by a few customers: two young girls around sixteen, thinking themselves to be above me, treating me like dirt; two students that I've only seen in passing on campus making fun of me behind poorly constructed whispers, 'Oh I'm sorry I have to learn what real life is actually like and my parents didn't just do it for me or pay for my success' I thought sarcastically. I was all too happy when they left. I went to the back to change out of my uniform and afterward went to tell Kohl that I was ready to go home. We walked out of the restaurant and were hit with the chill breeze as we walked towards his car. He unlocked it and I got in the back while he got in the front. I hadn't even noticed the slip-up until he spoke up about it.

"Why are you back there? Come get in the front."

I smiled sheepishly and responded, "Sorry, it's a habit."

"Habit?"

"Yep! I've been in the car-sharing business for quite a while now.", I say as I relocate to the front seat.

He nodded as he pulled out of the parking lot and onto the street.

"So where to?"

"Do you know the apartment complex near the campus? The one down the street from that Chinese place?"

"I...I think I know the place you're talking about", he said hesitantly and then we were off.

Almost an hour, several conversions, and surprising similarities later, we arrived at my complex.

"This is me, thanks for the ride. See you on Monday in Anatomy!", I say leaving the car while waving goodbye. I walked in the door and bumped into a man, who already seemed to not be in the best of moods, and my misstep set him off.

"Excuse you, lady," he said facing me with a sneer and burning hatred in his eyes that was unwarranted for the offense, " you should look where you're going when you're walking instead of at your cheap shoes."

" I'm sorry sir, I didn't mean to bump into you."

"Save your pathetic apologies for someone who cares.", he said and with that, he walked away but not without bumping into me as he passed by. I looked back towards the guy and then Kohl's car, which was still parked waiting for me to go in. As I walked in towards the elevator bay, I hear the engine of the car drive off in the direction of the angry man. 

------------------------------------------------------

hello everyone, how are your thoughts so far on the story?