Chapter 8

Rose couldn't see anything but she felt Brenda move beside her, her hand slipping from her arm. Next, she heard Thomas coughing and groaning and she breathed a sigh of relief, knowing that they were both alive. Rose mentally checked herself, making sure nothing was hurting as she started pushing herself into a sitting position. 

They were all coughing, trying to find their bearings. Rose rubbed her eyes, the dust stinging them but it did nothing to help her see. After a short moment of rustling beside her, Brenda turned on a light, allowing the three to be able to see more. 

"Are you guys okay?" Brenda asked, using the light to look at both of them. Rose nodded in response and turned to look at Thomas as the light shone on him. 

"Oh yeah, great," Thomas replied sarcastically as he coughed again, pushing himself up into a sitting position. Brenda lifted the light to where they had just come from, showing that the old elevator shaft was full of rubble. They weren't getting out that way. Rose watched as Brenda quickly moved the light around the room, looking for a way out. It took Rose only a second to notice there wasn't a door that they could leave out of, there were only walls. 

"Shit," Rose breathed, trying to keep calm. 

"No, no. How are we gonna get back to the others?" Thomas questioned, worry evident in his voice as he looked around quickly. Rose looked to Brenda as she grabbed her bag and started looking through it. 

"Relax, I'm gonna get us out of here," She stated and Rose hoped that she was right, they wouldn't last long being trapped in this small room. "Here," Brenda spoke and Rose watched as she passed Thomas another light to which he switched it on. Rose looked around once again as more light filled the room, showing once again that there wasn't a way out. 

"Why are you helping us?" Rose questioned before Thomas could. She had a good feeling about Brenda but not long ago they were hanging upside down and she did nothing to help. 

"Trust me, it's not my idea," Brenda answered as she continued looking through her bag. Rose looked to Thomas who had an unsure look on his face. "Jorge seems to think you guys are our ticket to the safe haven," She continued to explain, not looking up at either of them. 

"The what?" Thomas breathed, a confused look on his face now. 

"You know, paradise. Safe from the sun, free of infection," Brenda answered, finally meeting eyes with Thomas. The mention of the 'safe haven' seemed to trigger more memories. Rose took a deep breath as she remembered how Vince had mentioned this when they had talked one time, she had questioned him on where they would go once they were all free and he told her about this safe haven. "Supposedly, the right arm's been taking kids there for years. Immunes anyway," Brenda stated as she slung the bag over her shoulder and started pushing herself to her feet. 

"It's right, they want to keep kids safe, start everything again with them," Rose spoke up, her eyes meeting with Thomas who looked cautious and she looked to Brenda who looked confused to how she knew. "I communicated with them when I was in wicked, before the maze, I don't know much but they are real and they are our way out of all of this," Rose explained before Brenda could ask. It was quiet for a moment as Brenda looked down at the two of them before nodding. 

"Well, get up then," She stated and both Thomas and Rose quickly got to their feet, dusting off their clothes and looking around. Rose glanced at the pile of rubble, noticing a pipe on the floor in which she grabbed before walking back to Thomas and Brenda. 

"So you know where this safe haven is?" Thomas asked Brenda who was searching around with her light and Rose wondered what she could be looking for.