18 | Love Forever

Baekhyun adjusted his earpiece as he stood backstage waiting for his turn to go on, a staff fixing the front of his red jacket and the white hoodie underneath. Just a few more minutes now. He looked back over his shoulder at the friends that came to support him.

Everyone had their face masks on but he could see Sarang laughing with Jongdae, who was visiting briefly for his time home from the military. Jongin was standing with his head leaned lazily on Chanyeol's shoulder, listening to the group conversation with crossed arms. Sehun nudged Sarang's arm to say something as he pointed an accusative finger at Chanyeol, who then pointed an accusative finger at Jongdae.

Baekhyun chuckled, turning back towards the stage. They all said they came today to support him but got engrossed in their own conversation instead.

"Baekhyun."

Baekhyun turned and saw Kwang Ji approaching him, a clipboard in hand. He probably came here as another SM artist's manager, though Baekhyun hadn't been bothered to find out who it was. "I'm about to go on stage." Baekhyun informed cordially.

"Please, I just need a second." Kwang Ji let out a heavy breath, briefly rubbing a finger onto his temple. "I wanted to tell you that I'm sorry. At the time, it felt like the right thing to do, but I know now I was wrong. I was too busy being your manager that I forgot to be your friend."

Baekhyun stared at the man that had been his manager for a long time before everything went down. He knew Kwang Ji always had good intentions, but what he did was still a heavy betrayal to Baekhyun. "You don't need to be my friend to care about my happiness, a good manager cares."

Kwang Ji nodded, silent for a moment. "You're right. You've taught me a lot, you know? It's probably hard to believe, but I do care about you, Baekhyun. I may not be your manager anymore, but I'll continue cheering you on from afar. And I wish you well in your personal relationships." The former manager said, all the sincerity evident in his voice. "I really am sorry."

Baekhyun managed a small smile, reminding himself not to forget all the good things Kwang Ji did do as his manager for so many years. All the sacrifices and fun, all the times he made sure Baekhyun could still get some rest in the midst of a tight schedule. They had their own brotherly bond for a long time and it wasn't going to die out now. "It's fine, hyung."

The staff started giving Baekhyun cues to get ready, but Kwang Ji quickly called before he could go. "Let's go out for soju again sometimes."

Baekhyun looked at him, raising his brows. "You're paying." He shot his former manager a grin before doing a little jog towards the stage.

༻ ˚ ˚ ˚ ༺

1 Year Later

The year was 2021. South Korea was still getting used to the ever present pandemic, just like the rest of the world. With strict health protocols in place, society slowly moved on in its new normal. Students studied, workers worked, artists made art.

Byun Baekhyun, however, was mentally preparing for his military enlistment.

Or that's what he should've been doing. Instead, Baekhyun had been working day and night in a tight schedule just preparing content after content for his fans to enjoy while he was away. So far, he had released a new solo album, finished preparing an EXO group album, recorded multiple drama OSTs, two song collaborations with different artists, and prerecorded youtube videos that would be uploaded once a month every month while he's in the military.

His second mini album, Bambi, had officially earned him the title Double Million Seller. He made the album as a gift for the fans, but somehow they turned it into their gift for him instead.