Chapter Twenty-One

Hudson

It's one week before Christmas, and Deanna managed to talk Mark into releasing my first single before the new year. Tonight, is the release. The rest of my EP, that's now finished being recorded, will be released on January fifth.

I think it's special that Josie gets to sing with me on my first release. With a voice like hers, I think she should pursue a singing career of her own, but she won't admit how talented she is.

Deanna set up a nice single release party for us tonight. We're playing at the same club where Mark decided to sign us, and we're expecting a packed house.

There is a contest going on tonight, that whoever gets the best video of the performance and posts it to Instagram using the hashtag, will win a hundred bucks. Believe it or not, one hundred dollars to a random stranger is still cheaper than paying a videographer to capture the thing.

Plus, with all the videos of it, the idea is that people will discover me and want to hear more.

"Hey, you two!" Deanna rushes over, sunglasses atop her head despite the cloudy winter weather. "After sound check, I need a few photos of you. I got you both a surprise... a stylist!"

"Nice!" Josie seems excited while I groan.

"There's nothing wrong with my ripped jeans and t-shirt."

"Maybe not, but I'm paying to have these photos taken, and you will look nice for them. These pictures will be on Spotify, Apple music, YouTube... all of that."

"Yes ma'am." I chuckle, "Thanks."

It's nostalgic being on this stage with Josie again. That first day, I thought I'd never see her after. It's funny how things work out like that.

We complete soundcheck, and are ushered back to our dressing rooms. When I get to mine, a girl is standing beside a rack of clothes waiting for me.

"Hi. I'm the stylist for today. Are you ready?"

"I guess I am."

"Don't worry. I won't make you look bad."

"And please, no makeup."

An hour later, I'm in all black, "with gold accents", as the woman kept telling me.

I'm wearing a mostly unbuttoned black collared shirt, tucked into black ripped jeans with black combat boots. Then, a gold chain hangs down my bare chest, a thick gold watch sits on my wrist and a gold ring on my right hand.

"They're ready for you at the photoshoot."

I leave my dressing room to go find where Deanna has paid a photographer to set up a background for our pictures.

He gets started on me, taking a few solo pictures before Josie comes around the corner.

I blink against the lingering flash in my eyes, trying to take her in.

She's wearing thigh-high red leather boots, an over-sized white t-shirt with a black rose on the front and a large denim jacket. Her hair hangs straight down her back, and her makeup is thick.

"Holy shit."

"Do you like?" She does a twirl for me, giggling. "I feel like a real rocker now."

"You look..." I can't even finish my sentence, because it'll be filthy and people are watching us.

"You look nice yourself. I like the watch."

"Yeah?" I pull her against me, whispering into her ear. "I can leave it on for you later if you leave on these damn boots."