Returning Home

When Soda woke up Sunday, he was a nervous wreck. He burnt his pancakes and had to start over, and was chewing on his fingernails - something he normally chided Ponyboy for doing. "Soda. Are you okay?" Ponyboy asked worriedly, he didn't like seeing his brother upset about anything.

"Huh? Oh. Yeah, sorry Ponyboy. I'm just getting nervous. Darry's gonna be home soon." It was currently ten in the morning. Three hours before his fate was sealed.

"You think he'll let me out the house for a little bit?"

"I dunno honey. You can ask him. Worst he can say is no."

"I don't wanna have to -" he stopped himself from saying it.

"I know. I'd rather you not be around to hear it either. Well. Let's get the last of the chores done. Shouldn't take to long."

They finished the few things left on Darry's list and then it was time for Soda to go and wait in Darry's room. Ponyboy went to lay down, he was tired and so Soda told him to take a nap.

Soda made his way to Darry's room. He didn't know exactly what all Darry wanted him to do. If he was just supposed to sit and wait - or if he should have the whooping ready to go. He decided it was better safe than sorry so he went into Darry's closet and fished out their dad's old belt. It felt heavy in his hands. He winced at the sight of it and wondered if he could handle it. Sodapop had never had the thing used on him - only Darry, Steve and Dallas Winston ever felt the sting of the old belt. And Darry - who had been sixteen when he first got it, explained in great detail to Soda how awful it had been. Even showed Sodapop the ugly red stripes on his ass and legs.

He put it neatly on Darry's bed and then sat down beside it, staring at the door. It was as if his senses were on high alert. He heard when Darry's truck pulled up, rumbling lowly. Listened as the door was slammed shut and then waited, listening for the front door to open. When it did, he could hear Darry's footsteps getting closer.

Darry took a peek inside the room, checking to make sure Sodapop had obeyed him. "Where's Pony?"

"He was feeling tired so I told him to take a nap."

"I'm gonna check on him. Then I'll be right back." Soda nodded, wringing his hands together with worry. Darry closed the door and retreated down the hallway. Pony was indeed asleep when Darry opened the bedroom door.  He shook his brother awake gently, "hey Pony baby. I'm home."

Ponyboy grumbled a little, taking a minute to wake up and realize where he was. He turned over onto his back and opened his eyes. "Hey Darry. Did you have a good time?"

"Yes. It was nice. How you feeling?"

Ponyboy sat up, rubbing his eyes - he'd only been asleep maybe five minutes when he'd been woken up. "Better. My butt doesn't hurt today."

Darry nodded, "I'm glad. You musta been real sore yesterday."

"Yeah. It hurt to sit down even on a pillow....Darry?"

"Yeah baby?"

"Can I go walking for a bit?"

"You know you're grounded. " Darry replied with a frown.

"I know. It's just...I didn't wanna have to hear you whoopin' Soda. I feel awful. Like it's my fault."

"Why do you think it's your fault?" Darry sat down on the bed next to his baby brother now. Looking at him and rubbing his back gently. Ponyboy didn't talk about his feeling often - especially not with Darry. So when he made comments like this, Darry and Sodapop tried hard to get him to open up and continue talking.