Chapter 5

*Ryan's POV*

I woke up the next morning with the scent of Colt's calogne still lingering around on my bed from yesterday. I couldn't complain, though. I was fond of the scent. I got up and went to the bathroom to do my usual morning routine; Got dressed, Did my hair, Brushed my teeth and headed downstairs. As I grabbed my backpack, I saw a note on the table.

Ryan, work called me in today and I might have to work 2 shifts. I'm not sure when I'll be home, but hopefully it will be before midnight. I love you - Mom

I sighed and set the note back down on the table. I was honestly looking foward to seeing my mom today since I don't see her much and especially because Darrell's not here, but I guess I'll have to wait. I walked out the front door and once again into the cold air. There was some snow on the ground from last night, but it was less then an inch. As I approached the bus stop, I noticed Colt talking to Jaielle. She was laughing, which really doesn't surprise me since Jaielle laughs at everything. As I watched them make their way to me, I heard Colt ask Jaielle something.

"Can we hang out after school? I need to talk to you about something." He told her. "Sure, you can come over to my house. You haven't been over in forever." She answered. He nodded as Jaielle looked at me "Hey Ryana."

"What?"

*Colt's POV*

"What?" He snapped. I don't know what was wrong with him, but he didn't seem to be in a good mood. Jaielle backed up "You okay?". He sighed and ran his hand through his hair "Yes, I'm fine. I'm sorry I'm just not in the best mood today." "Oh." Was all Jaielle said back, probably not wanting to get snapped at again. When Jaielle went to her friends, I moved closer to Ryan. "Hey, what's wrong man?" I asked him as I put a hand on his shoulder. "It's nothing," He said "Just... I don't know. Not happy.". "Well why is that?" "I said I don't know.". I took the hint that he didn't want to talk anymore and went back over to Jaielle.

"What's up with him?" She asked. "I don't know." I admitted "So what do you need to talk to me about later? Is it something bad?" She asked. "Kind of," I answered and looked at Ryan "I just hope he doesn't hate me." I mumbled, but accidentally loud enough for Jaielle to hear. "Ryan? Why would Ryan hate you?" She asked concerned. "What?" I asked stupidly. "I heard you. You said you hope he doesn't hate you, why would he?". "You'll see." I answered simply as the bus pulled up. 

I figured I would sit with Jaielle since Ryan seemed pissed at the world. She kept begging me to tell her what the subject was I needed to talk to her about, but I couldn't tell her now. She would freak out and probably tell somebody, not on purpose, but she would probably repeat it out of shock. "I'll tell you after school." I told her, trying to get her to drop it. But she was persistent. "Pleeease, I can't wait that long it's going to be eating me alive all day." "Then it will be a relief when I tell you once we get home." 

*Ryan's POV*

You can only imagine the immense amount of pain I felt when Colt didn't even sit with me. He sat with Jaielle. I have a feeling that 'thing' he needed to talk to her about was asking her out. As in for her to be his girlfriend. I'll be honest, I never thought they had a romantic interest for each other but what else do I have to think at this point? He asked her to the dance, he wants to talk to her after school, and now he's even sitting with her instead of me. It's hard enough that I'm in love with him, but the fact that I'm so close to him and Jaielle, I almost felt betrayed.

I know it's somewhat childish, but I'm being honest. All I really want is to be with Colt. That's all I've wanted for almost a year. And now he's going to be with one of my other closes friends. What if I lose them both? What if they're too wrapped up in each other and I'm left out in the dark?

My thoughts stopped as the bus pulled up to the high school. 

I'll have to get use to being without them.