0.2 | deets on the job.

«deets on the job»

«deets on the job»

🗝

"KNOCK, KNOCK" Lissa knocked on the window of the menagerie, she was outside in the pouring rain after she'd sneaked out of the room when Kaz, Inej and Jesper went out to get the heartrender to Dreesen, she was advised— no, she was ordered to stay in her bed by her brother, so obviously she chose to go out and visit her friend.

Visiting the menagerie at this time had its risks and it's very stupid, but Lissa never said she was smart, well, she was smart enough to know that she shouldn't be here and if Kaz found out she'd be six feet under, but again, Lissa is stupid.

"Lissie!" The curly haired girl hissed, she looked around with paranoia, her eyes wide as moon and her face paling a bit with concern for her friend, she rushed forward and then opened the window letting the brunette in who grinned at her, "You're dripping on my carpet."

"My brother is gone for at least an hour..." Lissa said and then wiggled her eyebrows, "You promised!" was what she said when Maya ignored her.

"If your brother finds out he'll rip my hands out of my body and then choke you out with them" Maya said in an exhausted voice, "We have to stop meeting like this..."

"I know, but I can't pay your indentures off yet, not until I have enough—"

"You don't have to pay off my indentures—"

"I don't have to, I'm aware" Lissa nodded, "I want to" she told her and then looked around in her room, it was dark and there was this weird smell surrounding the room, someone had a seriously nasty taste in cologne.

"I'm assuming you want another lesson?" Maya asked, Lissa had a secret — only three people in this world were aware of it, that was Lissa herself, Kaz because obviously he knows, and then Maya.

Lissa had discovered that she was a squaller when she was...she was in the water with Kaz, at that moment it seemed like nothing just strong breezes guiding them forward, helping their tiny tired feet swim to the shore, but Kaz had realized it wasn't fate, and it wasn't a saint watching over them — it was Lissa, it was his baby sister, and that act alone had left her so tired that she'd passed out as soon as they reached land.

Kaz had to hide her that night, and he couldn't leave her alone, not when he knew they'd take her away if he did, he had to fight off every urge he had to run away from her touch, but he did it, he held her tight and stayed awake all night watching over her.

Lissa didn't know it at the time, but she'd leaned to appreciate Kaz for all those times he put her needs over his own.

Of course it all had started making sense as Lissa grew up, why she got unwell so often, why she was so terribly skinny and why she was such a sickly kid, but Kaz had warned her from using her powers — he didn't want his sister taken away from him, he couldn't lose her too.