Dark Room

ALEX

"I want three of them.....bring them to my house....Yes....ping me when you have them.." a sinister smirk played over my lips as I thought of the surprise I had just planned for her. This was going to be too much fun. I was growing impatient to see her reaction when she would see it. A perfect gift for her. 

I left for my home once finished with my work. I had two more meetings but I put them off until tomorrow. Tonight I had kept myself free exclusively for my wife. 

Crystal hadn't given up yet. Still pretending to be a perfect wife. Irritation flared when I saw her waiting for me in the living area. There was something different in her eyes this time as she looked at me. The corner of her lips pulled up in a breath-taking smile and her eyes lit up as if my sight had given her immense joy. The only woman I had seen with the talent of lying through her eyes. 

"Hey, you got late today. I was waiting for you" she rose to her feet and stalked over to me. I halted and focussed my gaze on her. 

"Did I ask you to wait for me?" I bit out.  

"No..but..I " she groped for words but nothing seemed to come to her thick head. I advanced towards her with threatening steps. I was delighted to no end on seeing her fake smile disappear and her deceitful eyes widen in fear. I could smell fear rolling off her making my demons purr in satisfaction. Fear suited her. I didn't stop until I had covered all the gap between us but an inch. The scent of lavender wafted through my nostrils as I pulled in a breath, ticking me off even more. She was holding her breath.     

"I am saying this for the last time. Stay the fuck out of my business," I spat in her face before turning away to ascend the stairs. 

Crystal wasn't there when I came back to have my dinner. But that didn't mean I wasn't going to see her again tonight. I had a surprise for her at all. I started shoving the food into my mouth when the call I was waiting for arrived. 

"Yes....put them in the cell," I commanded. 

And the night just got better. 

CRYSTAL

Coldness seeped through my warm skin as I turned on my bed that felt rugged and hard. I whined my irritation as I rolled to another side in search of the warmth and softness that my mattress provided. My eyes flew open as I felt something slithering along my feet. I bolted into a sitting position as fear instantly constricted my parched throat.

I gasped in horror when I scanned my surroundings and realized I was no longer in my room but inside a poorly-lit small room. There was a zero watt bulb hanging off the ceiling and a pungent smell was coming off the decrepit walls. All in all this place was giving me creeps. Sweat poured through my skin pores as my frantic eyes studied the room. 

What is this place and how did I come here? 

I immediately pulled myself to my feet and walked up to the closed door. 

"Open it," I yelled at the top of my lungs while banging the door. 

"Who the fuck lo..." a rustling sound coming from behind caused my voice to die down in my throat. Dread twisted in my gut like a pointed knife as I reluctantly turned around to see what had caused the sound. 

My mouth went dry and my blood froze in my veins when I saw a frigging snake crawling across the room. Instinctively, I let out a blood-curdling scream as pure terror streaked through me. I have a phobia of snakes. I despise them. 

My eyes that had gone wild with fear darted from left to right but what I found next had me shrink back in fear. My panic increased when I spotted one more snake tangled around a piece of equipment. A CCTV camera.  I was too terrified to scream. My eyes dropped down only to find one more snake coiled in a corner. This one had its hood extended. Realization dawned upon me. My chaffed lips parted in shock. This one was a cobra. 

Tears poured out from my eyes as I turned towards the door and started banging on it with more force. 

"Please...let me out," I begged through my scratchy throat. I was trembling inside out.

"Please somebody, open the door," Nobody responded. I had never felt this terrified before. I kept beating the door with my cold and clammy hands. My every plea met a deafening silence.   

I spun around once again to spy on the snakes. The one glued by the wall was still in the same place. The cobra also hadn't moved an inch. But the same can't be said about the first one. My legs turned wobbly when I caught sight of the snake with black and white strips, zigzagging towards me.

I pushed myself into the door, hoping for it to suck me in.

"No..please..somebody ...open the door..." I pleaded in my broken voice. I didn't care how helpless I sounded. All I wanted at that moment was to get out of this room and run away from these terror-inducing reptiles.

I slid along the wall to escape the snake approaching me. My vision had gone blurred multiple times due to tears constantly invading my eyes. 

"help," I whispered, fearing these snakes would hear me if I would raise my voice. I knew it was a silly thing to think but fear had squashed all my thinking abilities.        

The cobra was too smart for my liking. My heart sank when he turned his elongated body towards me. It seemed as if he was set on hunting me down.

"No..no..no...no..please don't," I uttered in my shaky voice as I saw him tailing towards me. My heart was palpitating like never before. I shivered with cold even though soaked in my own sweat. 

I kept sliding along the wall until I realized the cobra was sitting just one corner away from mine. I had nowhere to go now. I was trapped between, probably, the most venomous snakes of the world. Perspiration dotted my upper lip and forehead.

I had turned into a sobbing mess by then. No one had shown up till now. I shot a desperate glance at the locked door, hoping someone would bustle through in time to save me from them. 

The white and black snake halted a few inches away from me. It felt as if he was scrutinizing my movement. Maybe he wouldn't come any nearer if I continued to stand like a statue. I flattened my back on the wall and stopped every movement. I even tried to steady my breathing but that proved to be futile. I also stifled this strong urge of itching my cheek when a tear slid down it. 

I took a sigh of relief when the snake turned around a minute later. But a loud shriek escaped me the next moment when I felt something falling on me. I didn't need to open my eyes to know what was it. 

The creature dangling over my shoulder was the other snake that had been hanging off that CCTV camera. I realized I was standing right beneath it. I felt nothing but blind terror when it twisted around my shoulder. Completely gripped by fear, I shook my body to throw it off me. But it fired back.

A sharp sting in my neck crippled my senses. My head spun as I spotted black dots in front of my eyes. The snake had bitten me in my neck. 

I had never imagined I would die from a snake bite. But life is all about things that are not expected and so is death. 

My legs finally gave out and I collapsed on the floor. My eyelids clamped closed of their own accord and the only face that flashed before my eyes was that of Alex before I got sucked in by a pitch-black pit.