First day

Crystal

Alex regarded me with a threatening glare as I let those words out but I paid no mind to it. My keen eyes were trained on Mom who was watching her son with sympathy.  

"She is right, honey. Earlier it was understandable but now you have a wife who is smart, hardworking, and most importantly willing to ease your burden. Share some of your responsibilities with her. I am sure she will do great," my sweet mother-in-law flashed me a maternal smile. 

"But Mom she...." my husband tried to object but was cut short

"No. I don't want to hear a thing, boy. Do as I say,"

A wide smile spread across my face when I saw his neutral expression transitioning into a scowl.  

That's not even.." 

"You want to say something?" Debbie shot him an intimidating glare that made him go quiet at once. 

"Crystal, start going to the office with Alex from tomorrow on. Don't ever hesitate from telling us if he ever does something stupid,"  Mr. Knight announced, ganging up with his wife against their sulking son. 

Alex didn't say anything but I knew he had acquiesced. My dad was right on this, he was indeed a family man. 

I smiled and nodded. Alex had a soured expression on his face while I was beaming with happiness.

Mission accomplished.  

Alex retreated into his bedroom after Mr. and Mrs. Knight left after dinner. His parents were seeing us as a perfect couple. Mrs. Knight believed that only I had the capability of pulling him out from his shell.

According to her, I was his light. And he was my dark. 

The dinner turned out hell lot more fun than I had expected. I am so glad it happened.

I knew Alex didn't want me to join his office but did I care? Nope. His disinclination fuelled my excitement even more. 

The next day, I dressed myself up in a blue pencil skirt, white blouse, and blue blazer. After putting on light makeup, I descended the stairs and saw him eating his breakfast.

"Good morning," I chirped sweetly and pulled out a chair next to his.

As expected, he greeted me with a creased brow and narrowed eyes as he ran his orbs up and down my frame. After checking me out with a furious expression he quickly schooled his features and turned his attention back to the plate. 

"You are going somewhere?" he feigned ignorance while munching on his sandwich. I knew he would do something like that. 

"Yes. With you to your office," I replied nonchalantly. Grace placed the food tray before me and I started scarfing down my breakfast.   

"No. you are not," he said in a curt tone while looking calm and composed.

"Yes, I am," I dug in my heels and fired back with the same authority. That caught his attention as he turned his gaze up to meet my eyes. 

"You are not," he gritted the words out. Tone demanding total submission. 

"Alright. Let me talk to Mom first about the change in our plan," I shrugged and fished out my phone from the purse.

"No," he said instantly, a slight twitch in his jaw. 

Gotcha 

I put the phone on the table and shot him a sweet smile. He murmured something under his breath. Probably hurling profanities at me but who cares.