Chapter twelve

Her mother was waiting in the living room when Rosemary walked into the house. She stood at the entrance with her arms crossed.

"I thought something happened to you," she said.

"No, I was at-"

"Yeah, next door, but you should've called, or said something."

Stiffening, she gazed into her mother's eyes. "Mom, I need to tell you something," she said.

Placing her hands on Rosemary's shoulder, Mrs Lafayette stood in front of her. "I already know," she said, pressing her long thin finger against Rosemary's lips to prevent her from responding. "I saw you through the window. It's still too soon, but I was young once, and I'm not going to pretend that I was a saint." She smiled, removing her finger.

Rosemary stared at her."What are you talking about?"

"Don't pretend. I said I already saw you through the window." She paused, squinting at her. "Did you use protection?"

The conversation that followed was excruciating for Rosemary, but she had dodged a sharper arrow. Only fifteen minutes after she returned to her room, she dozed on her bed. When she woke up, she felt dirty. The erotic dreams about Chris made a come back. Jumping into the shower, she attempted to scrub him off her mind and body.

Strolling into her room, she tossed the pink towel on the floor. She sat on her bed, her mirror reflecting a bright ray of light from outside, opposite to how she felt. Eventually, word would reach her mother's ears of what really went down.

She stared at her phone for a few minutes. On the screen, she saw several missed calls from Anthony and friends. In the old days, she would have been more than eager to call him back. Whenever they had argued in the past, Anthony had always been the first one to apologize. His apologies, for the most part, seemed sincere, but Rosemary was beginning to see their relationship in a different shade.

The cynical side of her mind kept telling her that it had all been a pose. Anthony had rushed to mend things between them not because he needed her, but because he did not care enough about her to take their arguments seriously. Lately, they had only argued about their future together, to the point that whenever she made an allusion to it, he would seize to speak altogether, or change the subject.

The more devoted side of her mind begged for her to remember how loyal he had been to her. Despite his popularity, his good looks and his parent's wealth, he had never ditched her for another girl, prettier, or more feminine, like the ones that threw themselves at his feet. In the past, Rosemary had valued their dawn breaking conversations about sports, and their mutual intellectual capacity to plan their ideal futures for the next five years. His ambition had been a quality that she admired in him.

All of her previous memories combined with the significant reminder that he was the first and only person that she had ever slept with pushed her to call him.

Her calls went unanswered four times before she stopped. Bitter, she put the phone in her bag, turning on her T.V. The last thing she wanted was to seem desperate. He was the one who had been stupid enough to leave the door open while they had sex. To top it off, he had beenshitty to her right after.

Watching two vampires compete for a girl on tv did not improve her mood. She got up, put on jeans and a tank-top, pulled up her hair, and left the house. She was quiet enough to miss her mom in the hall way, but she ran into Madison on the porch.

In her hand, she was holding a teenage magazine that she had just pulled out of the mail box.

"Are you going to the park? I already told mom that I was walking him," Madison said, before she noticed that Luther, the puppy, was not with her.