❁ 19 ❁

"The nucleus synthesizes all of the following except blank? A. proteins, B. rRNA, C. mRNA, D. tRNA."

Buzz!

"D. tRNA," a random girl in Dahlia's group quickly answered.

"Incorrect."

Buzz!

"A. proteins!" I answered.

"Correct."

I sat back in my chair, satisfied. We were fifteen questions in, steadily approaching the end, and losing by just one point. We needed to get at least four out of the remaining six to win, which was easier said than done.

Dahlia's smirk had turned into a frown. She had underestimated my knowledge of biology. I had been studying this subject ever since I was a little girl. One day, in elementary school, a biologist came to my class and introduced multicellular organisms to a bunch of eight-year-olds. Most of the other children had been quite intimidated by this subject, while I found myself completely fascinated by it. When I was told that there was such a thing as marine biology, I immediately knew what I wanted to do when I got older. My passions were not something I took lightly.

The next question appeared, "Where in the cell does the citric acid cycle take place?"

It was quiet for a moment as we all tried to recall this week's biology lesson. It seemed the other team didn't know the answer either.

"Wasn't it in the mitochondria?" Iris whispered to everyone.

Tulip nodded. "Yeah, but where?"

I tried wracking my brain for answers. Suddenly, an image of the mitochondria appeared in my mind. I labeled each one: the DNA, cristae, outer membrane-

Buzz!

Dahlia attempted an answer, "In the inner membrane of the mitochondria?"

It was more of a question than a definitive response.

"Incorrect."

Then I had it. The mitochondria contained a gel-like fluid—known as the matrix—and one of their responsibilities was to produce ATP which was the citric acid cycle!

Buzz!

"In the matrix of the mitochondria," I stated.

"Correct."

The girls from my school cheered. My gaze met Dahlia's and it seemed as though that would have been her next guess. However, guesses won't help you in this case. It was all or nothing.

We were on the final three questions. It was, somehow, still a tie. Our team had to correctly answer two to take the win. This was a make-or-break moment. The tension in the air could have been easily cut through with a sharp knife. Everyone was on the edge of their seats.

"There are several different types of RNA with different general structures and functions. What is common to all RNA molecules?"

This question had me frozen. I helplessly tried connecting the different RNAs together, but what did they all have in common? It was on the tip of my tongue.

Buzz!

"Nitrogenous bases."

I quickly turned my head towards the person who had answered correctly. To my absolute and utter surprise, it had been Tulip. She had the widest grin on her face. Even Iris was in shock.

"Correct."

I could feel Dahlia's anger radiate from across the table. She was starting to become irate. We were in the lead now! I looked around the gym and my eyes suddenly landed on Angel's. He smirked. Gah, not now! I quickly looked away. Thoughts of him were beginning to fill the areas of my brain where biology should be and it felt like I would be swallowed whole by these feelings. I closed my eyes for a moment. Please, go away, go away, go away-