CHAPTER 5 CEMETARIES AND CELEBRATIONS

In a dimly lit room on the uppermost floor of a large cabin-style mansion stands Alistair Mann. Just a few minutes before he had returned from the cemetery. The room is small, and the darkness makes it feel even more claustrophobic. The only furnishing is a tall metal table and a wooden stool. Alistair Mann walks over to the stool with a pouch that carries a variety of knives, scalpels, surgical scissors, and even a small hatchet. Sitting on top of the metal table is a lone cooler filled with ice. Alistair Mann sets his leather tool bag quietly on the table and opens the cooler and brings out a case of human eyeballs that were deftly plucked from the orbits of an unlucky human's face. 

Alistair Mann unrolls the leather bag on the table revealing the neat rows of the surgical instruments. Choosing one of his favorite scalpels, one with an ivory handle, Alistair Mann makes a swift cut through the cornea and conjunctiva. As he continues with his evisceration, Alistair Mann makes a careful incision around the iris, pupil, and lens and deftly extracts them. With steady hands he places two glass slides on each side of the extracted parts of the eye forming a perfect glass slide of the superficial part of one's eye, the iris and pupil with the lens beneath them. In his workshop is one of the few places Alistair Mann feels at peace, and small smiles twitch on the corners of his mouth as he is working. He does the same process with the other eye from the recently deceased woman's body and the four other sets of eyes from the husband of the woman and their three children. As Alistair Mann works, a crooked smile is spread across his face.