autumn leaves

A/n: I know it's the middle of summer but autumn is my favourite season so here you go xx

October. Your favourite month of the year. Except for December, obviously, you loved Christmas. But October came right after.
This year though something is different. You've not been feeling like yourself lately. You don't feel good in your body, you are attending uni but don't really know where your life is supposed to be heading.
That's why you've had your hopes up high for October. You so badly wanted that month to make everything right. To help make you feel like yourself again.

But as the month approached, you had gotten the feeling it wasn't that easy. Especially last week, when  Kai left to play for Germany and he wouldn't be home for another couple days. You miss your family, nights out with your friends, actually attending classes at university instead of hopping on Zoom calls every other day...

And now missing Kai was just the cherry on top.

When you woke up this morning the sun was shining down on your face and you actually felt a tingle in your stomach. It was literally going to be a golden autumn day. The air was crisp and a couple leaves had already turned red and brown.

But you're already back on the couch, watching YouTube compilations of Kai.

Yeah.
It's as pathetic as it sounds.

But you can't help yourself. You really badly wanted to decorate the house, make it all cozy, that was until you realised most of the decorations you brought from your old flat had been stored in some place uptown. And you didn't have a car to go get them.

You had looked through Kai's garage and everything but it seemed that boy didn't own a single fairy light or autumnal scented candle.

Why would he. You remember very well that last year the two of you spent most of the autumn and winter days at your place. Most likely because it was always so cozy, so very well seasonally decorated, smelled of figs and pumpkin and apples... and you had the better dvd collection.

But right before the quarantine happened you and Kai had decided it would only make sense if you moved in with him. And you loved the idea. You were ecstatic.

And the quarantine life with Kai was great. It was all you could ever wish for. Having your boyfriend with you for such a long period of time wasn't what it usually was with Kai. And you never minded but quarantine made you realise how much you loved all that quality time with him.

Maybe that's exactly why you miss him even more now.

However, right now, what you really miss is your old Appartement. The big green and brown chequered blanket, all the Harry Potter dvds, your favourite mug with all the small pumpkins on it. And the smell of that one bath and Bodyworks candle you bought years ago, when you went to the states for the first time. You couldn't light it anymore but it looked pretty on your night stand and it still had that autumnal smell that reminded you of the October you met Kai for the first time.

You sit up.

What the hell is wrong with you.
When did your happiness become so dependent on other people.

That's not who you were. That's not who you are.
Still, tears fell down your cheek. You are different. You had changed. But not in the good kinda way. More in the lost kinda way.

Where did all your ambitions go. All your goals for the future you used to work hard for. You loved to spend time all by yourself and suddenly you felt all lonely when you did.

You must have fallen asleep on the sofa cause as you wake up, the room is much darker. The sun is just going down and no lights are turned on. However, suddenly you hear the front door click and see the light in the hall turn on. You freeze. No one has a key to this place. Who could possibly...

Then you see him. He's standing in the door, a huge smile on his face and a big box filled with oranges and browns and greens in his hands.

„Surprise", Kai calls out in excitement.

You don't know what to do. You don't know what to say or think or feel. You're in shock.

Kai just laughs at the expression on your face and puts the box down. The second he does so you take control over your body again.

You jump up and into his arms. Kai's so surprised by your sudden movements he stumbles backwards and you land on top of him and on the big armchair.

„You're here", you almost yell which makes Kai laugh even more.

„Yes" he yells back, right in your face which makes you burst out into laughter as well.

„I've missed you so much" you say, your voice being more of a whisper this time. He immediately pulls you in for a kiss and your grip around him tightens. It feels like hours pass before you two let go of each other. You lean back, still sitting on his lap, his fingers playing with your hand.

Your eyes land on the box he brought.

„What's that?", you ask curiously.

Kai smiles cheekily.

„Well that's one out of the five boxes I have in my car. They are your autumn decorations. When I landed I called the storage people and asked if someone's been there to get some stuff out of it lately. And as they told me no one did I figured I'd get all your autumn stuff. It's October 1. And what's October without all the decorations right?"

You can't believe he actually did that. You turn your head to look at Kai.

„You have no idea how much I love you."