P A R T 18

"I-" Caroline sobbed. Standing on the thin ledge of the bridge. She looked down. There was something about that being her future that made her turn around and put her arms down. She remained on the ledge but was now facing Ben.

Ben was standing outside of his truck still but couldn't bear to watch Caroline take her life, so he had turned to look at the other side of the bridge. Then, hearing her sobs, he wrapped his arms around himself, imagining it was her. He didn't hug her though, she had to make the choice to get down on her own, whether it was back onto the road or into the water was her choice.

Ben turned to face her, tears threatening to fall from his eyes. He watched as the walls that Caroline had spent her entire life building up crumbled to the ground as she sobbed from on top of the bridge.

"I- I can't do it, Ben," she sobbed.

"I- I can't give you a reason to live, you have to do that for yourself, or we will be right back here in no time," Ben said in a voice that meant find a reason right now, please!

Caroline sobbed, trying to create a coherent sentence. She began to shuffle on her feet, almost slipping before grabbing onto the metal beam next to her. Ben ran over to her and grabbed her waist.

"Caroline, you need to breathe right now. We can't have you passing out and accidentally kill yourself," Ben said teasingly, trying to lighten the somber mood.

"I- I choose me," Caroline said, gaining some self-control.

"What?"

"I choose me. I want to live for me. I want to live at least one entire day being happy. I don't want to die yet" Caroline allowed one more tear to fall from her eyes before putting her hand out for Ben to take.

Ben moves one hand from her waist to grab her hand and help her down. Once she is on the ground, Caroline immediately wraps her arms around Ben, holding him like a lifeline.

"Ok, Live for yourself," Ben whispers into her hair, tightening his grip on her, praying she doesn't regret her choice. They stayed like that for what felt like forever.

At some point, Carolin began to cry again, but these tears were different. They were tears of hope, of letting go of the past, tears of a future that didn't involve drowning.

Caroline knew it wouldn't be easy. She knew that every day would be a challenge. But she also knew that she would get through it because she was no longer alone. Caroline had spent her entire childhood alone, then she met Augustine. When he died, she was alone again. Six years of isolation. Never again, Caroline thought to herself. Never again would she put herself through that. Caroline didn't have some big life realization in one specific moment. She didn't have all the answers. She was still terrified. But Caroline didn't want her life to be over, gone and lost.

Caroline didn't want to die; she just needed a reason to live. And now she knew she wanted to live for herself.

T H E     E N D 

word count: 534