~Chapter 6~ Final selection

~Third person POV~
The next morning came quickly as all humans in the small house were awake and moving. Urokodaki seemed to be carving something while Tanjiro and Hoshi were washing up and packing what they'd need. It was the morning of final selection, the time to deem themselves worthy of becoming full fledge Demon Slayers. An important event indeed.

Not too long after both young boys had a final small meal, it was time to head out. They had a sense of where they were going so they wouldn't get lost. Before they left Urokodaki handed them both a haori with a cloud pattern on it, much like the one he was wearing, though Tanjiro's was a bit darker and Hoshi's was a more pastel blue color. He also handed them a light wood mask, much like the ones Sabito and Makomo were wearing. "It's a warding mask, made with a chant casted on it to keep evil away, I want you both to keep yours. And keep it safe." Urokodaki spoke. Tanjiro and Hoshi both took the ones that were designed for them and look at them. Tanjiro's was the same shape as all the others but instead had downward slanted burgundy eyes with swirls in them and a scar on the right side of his forehead, exactly where the scar is on his actual self. Hoshi's mask has the same shape, but had big crystal blue eyes and scattered stars of light blue scattered on the cheeks like freckles.

"Thank you, I'll do my best to keep it in check." Tanjiro great fully took in and rested it on the side of his head. Hoshi simply bowed his head and put the mask over his face. They switched out their original haori's for the ones Urokodaki had given them to use and set off out the door, in the early morning sunrise. "Good bye!! I promise I'll come back!" "Good bye..." Both boys waved at Urokodaki one last time while he repeated the gesture. "Oh!! And say hello to Sabito and Makomo for me!" Tanjiro yelled out as Hoshi nodded. Then the young boys were out of sight. 'Tanjiro... Hoshi..how do you know the names of the dead..?' Urokodaki thought.

Time Skip
Luckily both boys hadn't gotten lost on the way. The whole walk they had small conversation, which was mostly Tanjiro speaking and Hoshi nodding or shaking his head, him being naturally quiet. Suddenly purple started erupting on their path. More and more started appearing. It was night now, so the purple flowers dangling from the trees lit up the area. "Wisteria.. how beautiful." Hoshi muttered.

Wisteria trees were everywhere. They walked along a clearing and started to see more people. About 20 or so we're here for final selection. Ones that stood out were a yellow haired boy covered in dirt, a quiet petite black haired girl, with a butterfly on her finger and a butterfly ornament on her hair, gathering it into a high side ponytail. There was also a tall young boy with an angry expression and a bunch of scars he had black hair that was styled and cut in a Mohawk. Hoshi slightly hid behind Tanjiro, a bit intimidated by the Mohawk guy. They both walked further into the clearing of Wisteria when suddenly two voices spoke.

"Good evening. Tonight you've come to enter the demon slayer course final selection. Thank you all for being here." Two twins spoke, one having white hair, the other have black and both having beautiful plum purple eyes. Both had a piece of wisteria in their hair. "Here on mount Fujikasane, their are several demons captured alive by Demons slayers swordsmen. They are kept here for this event." The white haired twin spoke, the black haired twin continuing. "The wisteria blossoms prevent them from leaving. They bloom on this mountain year round, and they cover everything from the base to half way to the top." Hoshi and Tanjiro stared listening intently. "But the wisteria stops here, so demons abound from this point on, and they're very hungry." The white haired twin spoke again. "In order to complete final selection, you must survive here for 7 days beyond the wisterias protection." The black haired twin finished. "Now, your trial begins." Both twins spoke as they bowed.

Tanjiro held a confident expression, his Hanafutu earrings dangling. Hoshi held a soft but stern expression, ready for the test. Then both set off into the forest. It was pitch black but Hoshi could see the auras floating around everywhere.
"Wait!! Hoshi!" Tanjiro yelled out. Hoshi looked back at him confused. "Let's.. I mean can we please stick together, I think we'll do better if we're partnering." Tanjiro asked. Hoshi thought about it before confidently nodding his head. "Sure, let's protect each other."
They both ran off together watching out for demons, with Hoshi's sixth sense and Tanjiro's enhanced smelling they were able to precisely slay any demons they had come across. So far they were doing well, Hoshi silently slaying any demons while Tanjiro tried to get answered about Muzan Kibutsuji and how to turn his sister back into a human. Suddenly the heard a scream. "AHHHHHHH!! WHAT THE HELL! I DIDNT SIGN UP FOR THIS!" Then a boy about their age ran past them, clearly being chased after something, then the ground started shaking, what ever it was, it was HUGE. Hoshi and Tanjiro both separate behind parallel trees and got into form, read to attack. Suddenly Tanjiro's eyes widened as he caught sight of 'it'. His breathing got heavier as he hid behind the tree. Soon Hoshi saw it too, and hid behind the tree, not scared, but thinking of a plan, he was nervous, but not scared. In the blink of an eye he was infront of Tanjiro covering his mouth. "Shhh.. it'll hear us!" He whispered. Tanjiro's breathing steadied and soon he calmed down. Hoshi removed his hand and they both peaked out from behind the tree. A big blob of , they weren't really sure, was following the boy from before. When I say big I mean BIG! Tanjiro stared eyes widening again as Hoshi started to sweat. 'I'm not sure my plan will work but..' He contemplated. Hoshi then motioned for Tanjiro to bend down so he can whisper something in his ear. "Ok so...."