Here We Go

I heard the front door open and slam. "I'm going to love it here!" Joe yelled through the house. He tossed his bag on the chair. I heard it land and he always does that.

I moaned and got up. I hadn't showered yet. "Why?" I grumbled as I walked down the hall where ugly carpet went to die. I mean awful! "What happened?"

Joe smiled. "I got a raise and a job offer."

"I thought you had the job? I mean you have been working there for a month." I stared at Joe, who was smiling in his suit.

"I was a temp, Shaw. I just got called into my boss's office to be his assistant. I start tomorrow. It's a huge raise and a full time permanent position!" Joe was all smiles. "With benefits!"

"I'm proud of you." I really was. We were close because he was all I had for the past few years. He was my dad, mostly. "So, mac and cheese for dinner to celebrate!" It was all we could afford.

"When I get paid, we are going out, Shaw! Someday, I am getting you the best birthday gift ever!" Joe smiled. "I'll make dinner, you shower!" He looked at me. "I mean it. You are filthy!"

"I'm always filthy!" I had to say it. He was always clean. Opposites. However, I was grateful that I had a wonderful grease remover. My hands stay clean for school so that I don't look like a beggar. "And I don't celebrate my birthday, Joe!" I never celebrated a birthday.

"Well, when we get all of our shit together and find real happiness, we will celebrate your birthday!" I heard Joe promise as I rushed to the bathroom to shower.

We had a rule in the house. Ten minute showers in cool water to save on water bills. But with this ugly trailer came a plus. It was on a well. Water from the ground. No water bill. I stood in the shower until Joe knocked. I sighed as I climbed out and dried off. I just threw on jean shorts. It was too hot outside for a shirt.

"So, how was your day, Shaw?" Joe smiled at his meal.

I didn't have a great answer. "Uh, fine. The guys at the shop are testing me. I am rebuilding an engine thus the greasy hands. I think they have doubts. It's the first and I told the boss man in the interview that I could. So, I am. Taking a while but..."

"I don't know what it means to rebuild an engine and don't tell me!" Joe sighed. "I don't really care but as long as you know what you are doing, I'm good."

"I do. I really do." I smiled a proud smile. "So, I looked up that high school conservatory thing! I still have no idea?!"

"When does school start?" Joe sighed.

"Tomorrow!"

"Okay. So, your paycheck will be smaller." Joe sighed.

"I know. I tried to let them let me work later but state laws and everything. Plus they close at six. I will only get three hours of work a day all week but Saturday I can work twelve. It evens out." I sighed.

"I will not let you work twelve hour days, Shaw. You have to be a kid too!" Joe looked worried.

I sighed. "When? We have bills to pay off." Our mother's medical bills were passed to Joe when she died. It was substantial. We weren't doing well. "Don't worry about me, Joe. I'm fine. Plus, I have no life and no friends. I already know how the first day will go." I paused for effect.

"I will walk in very insecure and hiding. Kids will stare and maybe laugh. I will make at least one bully mad just being alive. I will get my ass kicked by lunch and spend half of the first day in the nurse's office with a broken nose because I won't fight back."

Joe sighed. "I hope you're wrong. Maybe this school..."

"Shut up. This school will be no different. None of them are different. They can change the name but they are all the same. Academy, conservatory or high school. All the same. You'll see." I had no hope that this would be different.

I was a pacifist. I didn't believe that fighting with fists solved anything but bullies didn't agree with me. I got beat up a lot.. Well, until they got bored and found another poor victim. At least when they were hitting on me, someone else was safe. It's the least I could do. I hated how things worked. Why can't one school be different?

Vote and Comment if you wish!