It's Not Luck

It was after dark in the middle of the next week, I just showered off from work when Joe burst through the bathroom door. "Little brother, I have news!" He was bouncing. He rushed into the bathroom and opened the door, where I was barely in a towel. "Hey!" He was all smiles.

"Rude! I'm in here... what?" I stared at him. He was so excited. This was about the house and I knew it. I would have to act surprised. "What happened? Are you okay?"

Joe laughed. "I'm fucking fabulous! I got a raise and... there is a perk to this job. Mr. Isadore is...giving us a house!"

"What?" I stared and tried for a shocked expression. It must have worked. "What are you talking about?"

"Well, we are moving!" Joe was bouncing. "You should see it! It's just gorgeous and totally something you will love!"

"Okay? Is this a joke?" I stared. I deserve a golden globe or something!

Joe laughed. "Nope. We are moving. Wanna see it?"

"Yes! Are you serious?" I watched my brother be the happiest he ever was and I couldn't take that from him.

"Get dressed and we will drive over."

Well, I was back inside my house. I was almost standing in the same spot that I pleased Shade. "Joe! This house is just gorgeous!" I turned and smiled. This smile was real. I was happy that Joe was so happy. I never wanted him to know.

Joe nodded. "Right! And look at this fridge! It's huge!" He opened the door and smiled into it.

"And just as empty!" I laughed. "We can fill it."

"Uh, did I tell you the other news?" Joe watched me. "All of the medical bills are paid. Mr. Isadore took care of them!"

I was in tears. "No! Joe!" I couldn't talk. This was a little too much. I covered my face and just cried. I don't know why. I kind of felt, and this is stupid, I felt like Mom was with me because we had her medical bills. I know but it was how I felt. I missed her and her bills were all we had left.

Joe wrapped around me. "It's okay. Our life is getting better, Shaw. Are you okay?"

I shook my head. "This is a lot!" I got control and wiped my tears. "Sorry about that!" I sniffed. That came from nowhere.

Joe sighed. "Mom... she would never believe this, huh?"

I shook my head. "She never believed in good luck. Life was what you make of it. She always said that!"

Joe nodded as he slowly released me. "She did. She loved you, you know that right?"

I nodded. I couldn't speak because I had been crying again. I'm not normally a cry baby but since we moved to this town, I was turning into one. I finally pulled away from Joe and wiped my face. I was a mess.

"And..." Joe smiled. He pulled something from his pocket and handed it to me. "A phone."

I took it and touched it. The screen lit up. Joe looked at it. "Oh, that one's mine. Here." He handed me a different phone and took his. "Don't worry. These are a pay as you go plan. No contracts. My number is already in there. This is something that I got for you. If you can handle paying the minutes every month.... You have a phone."

I smiled at the phone. I was a loser and this was my very first cell phone. I know! We were always poor and never... My mom had a flip phone once but it died. We spent years helping her. She had cancer for most of my life and well, cancer is expensive. It left us without a mom and almost homeless. Now, I have a home and a phone. It might as well have been a chunk of gold.

"Joe, thanks." I smiled. I pushed a button and texted Joe. His phone made a sound as I smiled.

I love you.

Joe laughed as he saw the text in the little blue bubble. "I love you. Let's get back and start packing. We move in tomorrow." 

Thanks for reading!