Chapter 10

"Shade, be careful." Rain said as I was leaving the house wearing the new trench coat. I gave him a quick nod and joined Jan and Hector who were just waiting for me outside the house. Blaze sneaked up behind Rain and pulled him in a hug. Rain leaned back against the chest of his husband and let out a sigh.

"What's wrong?" Blaze asked, stroking his mate's hair. Even he can tell that Rain was stressed and occupied up in his mind. He'll admit, he's not the smartest at times as compared to Rain. Rain always amazes him with the amount of knowledge he has and how far ahead in the future he always thinks.

"I just have a bad feeling about this." Rain said uncertainly, which is definitely a rare thing to happen. "I feel like something out of our knowledge is happening. Something with a long history that was kept secret. It feels like Shade is at the center of it all and I hate not knowing what could happen."

If Rain doesn't know, Blaze wouldn't know either. But someone he knows might be able to help. After all, while lacking in knowledge, Blaze has formed many connections in his younger days as a rogue.

I frowned when I picked up on the concerns of Blaze and Rain. Without permission, the thing that dwells in my shadow had stayed behind in the house, eavesdropping. It then relays the information to me, whether I like it or not. I stomped my feet as if trying to stomp out the shadow which gained me quizzical looks from my bodyguards. I just shook my head and said nothing before making a beeline to my locker with them behind my back. I can't help but have a bad feeling about today.

Behind the wall.

Just before I'm about to turn left into another corridor, a thought immediately crossed my mind and I halted before making the turn. I looked at Jan and gave her a slight nod, which she understood immediately. I could fully well protect myself but that would end up with the other person dead. The last thing I need to do is to prove that the rumours are right.

She slowly crept up, on high alert, and slowly made her way to the very edge that cannot be seen from the other side of the corridor. The moment she set her foot off that edge, a glint of the knife instantly flew her way but Jan was experienced in these kinds of attacks. She grabbed the armed hand, swiped the guy off his feet, bent his hand backward, and pinned him to the ground. The male beneath her screamed out in pain. A voice which we recognized.

"Richard." Jan and Hector both growled out. The poor boy let out a grunt beneath Jan as she tugged at his hand harder than she should. Weirdly, he isn't struggling or making any sound despite his arm being in an uncomfortably painful position.

"What is the meaning of this!" Jan demanded. Richard looked up with a darkness that seems to dwell in his eyes. His teeth tightly clenched, as if he was trying to speak. He shook his head wildly before coming to a complete stop.

"He needs to be killed." He said with a monotonous voice.

"What?" I asked. I could hear him perfectly fine, but my mind doesn't want to register it.

"He needs to be killed." He said louder, more aggressively. "He needs to be killed! HE NEEDS TO BE KILLED!"

At this point, he was shouting like a mad man, writhing madly underneath Jan. Hector immediately kneeled and placed a hand on Richard's forehead. He took a breath and slowly let it out. As if getting exorcised, Richard screamed out loud before slowly but surely started calming down. After a few more breaths from Hector, Richard eventually calmed down and fell into a deep sleep state.

"What was that?" Jan asked, getting up from the now tamed Richard. "It's hard to imagine a guy like him to be swinging around knives and killing people. Plus with the way he acts, he looks like he was on drugs."

Hector pulled on his lips a bit but didn't say anything. His face showed that he knew something.

"I need to report this to Alpha, I'll see if we can increase the security or do a check on what happened to Richard. It will be great if Richard just happens to be on drugs. I'll be back." Hector ran off to the school gate while Jan just shrugged and heaved Richard onto her back.

"Come on Shade. We need to drop this guy off at the infirmary before heading to class." She said and nodded at me to follow her. Even though it seemed that the danger had passed, the feeling was still stuck with me. It felt like someone was watching my every move, guiding the people around me. Just like 10 years ago. And Richard was only the start of it.

The class seems to pass by slowly. Hector had not returned so there was no way to prod at his mind about the situation. Everyone knew what happened to Richard by the time it reached noon. People gradually stopped whispering or trying to cover up their fear or discontent. I didn't need a mind reader to tell me what they are thinking. My shadow was not taking the tense atmosphere very well either. I have been doing my best to reign it in, keeping it suppressed so that it doesn't lash out at the first person who has the slightest thought about harming me like Richard.

Jan headed off to her club, leaving me to take the long walk to the school gates alone. Everyone had already abandoned the building as fast as possible, or at least evacuate from my usual route to avoid me. But something caught my eye. A speckled owl sat perched on the tree right outside the window. It stared right at me and gave a low hoot. We locked eyes for a few minutes before it flapped its wing and disappeared deep into the woods.

I shrugged and just headed down to the vehicle lots where Alectos was already waiting for me patiently.