5 | Fate

Night has approached. The skies has turned darker and darker. My phone pinged on the table.

┌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌┐

1 message(s) from Jimin

Jimin : Let's hang out! Meet me outside

└╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌╌┘

I jump out from the bed and stared at the screen, proccessing the message for awhile. Then I grab my phone and my wallet into my pocket. I head outside on my baggy pants and oversized shirt, the outfit that I usually wear most of the time. I lock the door then walk through the path, searching for her. My eyes roamed around before catching her on my sight, she is standing with her head upwards and viewing the dark sky. Barely any stars could be seen in the city of Seoul, the thick polluted air has covered the sky exception for the moon.

I walk closer to her, trying not to interrupt her but I know I will anyway. I stood next to her as she turn her head towards me, catching my attention. She nodded reassuringly then we start walking through the streets.

The dark night is lighten up by the city lights. Some people strolling across the streets, my friend and I stop by infront of a cosmetic store. She took a glimpse of the shop.

"I want to buy some lipstick for Minjeong, she told me that really wants another pink shade." I nodded in agreement then we head inside the store. I followed her to the lipstick section, she began searching through the shelves. My eyes wander around the colourful shades, but uninterested to buy one.

A retail sales worker approached her, assisting for some help on the shades. I stood next to her as I watch her picking the perfect shade. As the worker is helping her, I avert my attention somewhere else. Another woman entered the section, her eyes roaming around the shelves. She tuck a strand of her long brown hair behind her ear as her eyes stopped onto something she found interesting.

I examine her beautiful side profile as she lower herself to get a closer look to pick the lipstick. Her presence is somehow different, it sent me chills for a second when I saw her. I focus my gaze on her without realizing that Jimin is frowning at me.

"Haneul."

"Haneul?"

I turn my head to her, "You're done?" The worker isn't around anymore. She nodded then took a glance at the woman I was staring at. She avert her focus to me again then dart her head to the woman with eyes widen in realization.

"Taeyeon-ssi?" She caught her attention. The woman turn her head to Jimin, it took a few seconds until her mouth shaped an O in realization. "Yoo Jimin, and this is your friend?" Taeyeon questioned her then my eyes meet hers.

"Yeah," she replied with nervousness in her tone. She didn't expect to see her sunbae in the cosmetic shop. She looked at me then at Taeyeon, confused on the long eye contact between Taeyeon and I. She decided to introduce me to Taeyeon, but hesitated.

I blinked, noticed that something in me isn't right. I gave her a warm smile, "You must be Kim Taeyeon. Hello! I'm Haneul, Jimin's friend."

"It is nice to meet you," she smiled. Her eyebrows are furrowed slightly as her eyes are still connected to mine. "It is nice meeting you here too Taeyeon-ssi," Jimin bid her goodbye as she held my hand, dragging me with her to the cashier.

"I'll pay these two," Jimin hand the cashier some cash. After the cashier take the cash from her hand, she look at me with a hint of confusement.

"Are you a huge fan of Taeyeon-ssi?" She asked. "I listen to her songs but not a big fan." She pucked her lips as she avert her attention to take the items she purchased. She thanked to the cashier before leaving the store along with me. We proceed on walking down the streets.

"Why were you staring at her? I mean it was just a little weird since she was staring at you as well," She asked out of curiosity. I remained silent, not knowing on how to explain it to her. But leaving her question unanswered is quite rude.

"I don't know," I trailed off but answering honestly. "It was weird, I think I ate something bad today," I mumbled and my voice got lower in every word.  She just nodded and shrug it off.

We stroll around the streets for the night together, viewing the city and with some small talks. I really enjoy everything on today's birthday. Especially getting to meet the idol that inspired me — Kim Taeyeon, unexpectedly. It is such a surprise.