00: PROLOGUE

━━ THERE WASN'T A REASON.

There never really was a reason for any of this

There never really was a reason for any of this. At least, one that people could actually understand. Now perhaps, their minds aren't able to comprehend something bigger than them all.

Or perhaps, there simply wasn't a reason.

Reasoning was always subjective, is it not? One person may kill out of revenge, one for money, and one in self-defense. Or for the fun of it.

So does anyone really need a reason for anything?

Besides, the reason for something never seems to be quite enough for somebody. They always seem to question it further, as if there's another point to it.

Even people in court, it was a scramble for something that pleased the people.

It's all a bit pointless.

Regardless, Tommy still wants to know Dream's reason.

The prison looms before him, a place that had been meant for him. If things had turned out any different, he might've been the one locked up. A shiver runs down his spine. It had only been a day since death had knocked on his door.

He was happy to say he slammed the door back in its face and screamed: 'fuck you prick! I'll live another day if I want to!'

Things haven't been quiet since, but they were peaceful. He remembers talking to his brother, then catching fish in the river with Tubbo until finally crashing at 7am. He woke up this morning.

There was just something different in the air.

And for some reason, Tommy decided he was going to visit Dream.

Maybe he's still a bit sleep-deprived.

He walks into the Blackstone building in front of the prison, a red and white carpet bringing him to an unlit nether portal. To the right, there's a buzzer.

Tommy takes a few seconds to glance around the room. There are redstone lamps in the ceiling, giving it an ominous glow and sharp quartz corners.

He musters up the rest of his courage and presses the button.

"Sam?"

A beat later, a voice comes through. "Tommy?"

"Hi, Sam."

"Hello."

"I'm outside the prison, or well, I'm inside this building. And you've got this unlit nether portal here and—,"

"Are you ready to come in?" Sam cuts him off.

"Yes."

"Give me a moment."

The line goes dead, and Tommy stands back. He watches as the nether portal lights itself, and Sam's voice comes through again.

"You can enter."