A New Beginning

A/N: I'm trying to get out as many chapters as I can before I leave for school, but this story may soon be ahead of the anime. I'm caught up on the manga, so there will be MAJOR manga spoilers ahead. Please read at your own risk!

Word count: 6.5k

-

THE NEXT DAY, HIMIKO'S POV.

Thankfully, once I had woken up from my shitty "bed," the front door of my house was unlocked. The brisk, autumn air gave me goosebumps as I opened the door to an empty house. My mom had presumably done so before she left for work, so I was grateful that she wasn't there to avoid any conversation with her. We never spoke much unless it was for dance, but I really didn't want to see the look on her face if I were to tell her that I didn't come home because I was with a boy.

Boys are distractions. Getting attached is a waste of time.

Of course, she only felt this way because my father, who I've never met, left her when he found out she was pregnant. Obviously, it can't be easy raising a child alone, but that doesn't justify her shoving her failed dreams of becoming a professional dancer onto me...

It made me hate dance.

It made me hate her.

I swallowed the nasty thoughts about my mother and got ready for school. Just as I was about to leave, I paused in my doorway, lost in thought.

Missing school today wouldn't hurt, would it?

It's not as if she gives as much of a shit about school as she does with dance. I could honestly get away with it...

I just needed an alibi.

Can I really pull this off? I guess we'll have to find out.

I ran into the kitchen and pulled the landline off the hook, dialing my school's number from memory. Luckily, I remembered correctly and was connected to the secretary's office at my high school.

"Hello, my daughter, Himiko Tomomi will not be in attendance today as she is feeling ill," I lowered my voice to sound more mature. There was a slight, quiet moment on the other line that made me sweat. What the hell was she doing?

Eventually, she spoke.

"Thank you for letting us know, Tomomi-san. I hope she feels better soon." The secretary was brief in her statement, and I thanked her before hanging up the phone. I threw my arms up in victory. I cannot believe this actually worked!

Still giddy from getting away with skipping school, I left my house with a huge grin on my face, staring up at the grey sky that was filled with clouds as I began to head in the opposite direction that I would usually go if I were actually attending. I had an idea of where I was heading, but...

I had no idea if he was even home, however, I was in this deep already... no turning back now.

After walking for a few minutes, I turned down a familiar corner and was greeted with the very same sight I had grown so accustomed to in my youth. It was exactly how I remembered it, both houses and everything. A sudden burst of speed shot through me as I made my way to the front with a smile.

I remembered too. It was Mikey's house. I was finally back after all these years.

As I neared the building where the dojo I had trained in was located, I noticed that the door was open a crack. I gulped at the sight. Praying that Mikey was home so that I didn't get caught by his grandfather lurking like a damn creep, I tiptoed towards the door. As I grew closer, I heard something coming from within the room.