Chapter 6- Relief

Too much had happened today; a strange dream, a horrible storm, a talking clock and my friend lying injured on the pavement near my home. What was happening? Why is this happening? I've tried to stay calm, but when your friend could have died of pneumonia or any other disease related to staying too long in the rain, keeping calm was very difficult.
I threw in some more bars of firewood and shut the blinds to keep the depressing view of grey rain out while Mom began preparing nice, hot chicken corn soup for Nathan, who just sat there as he always did, staring at his surroundings, absolutely zoned out. Why was he out there alone? Is it possible that he slipped on the way to school and passed out? Would he tell me what had really happened? He never really tells me much about himself...but right now was a bad time to think about that. Afterall, he must be terrified about what had happened to him; it didn't seem like the right time to ask. I think I should try and comfort him.I grabbed the two cups brimming with warm milk from the kitchen counter and a big, fluffy pillow that I placed on the carpet ahead of the sofa, settling down next to him. Placing a glass in his half-frozen, blue hand, I did my best to smile and act as bright as I could, "Hey Nathan! Try the milk, it tastes great!" My fake, toothy smile sank as Nathan just gave me the cold, hard look, causing me to try again," Personally, I love milk without it being warmed, but you're sick, so yeah......." His blank response once again had ignited something in me, I could feel the heat gather in my cheeks making me bite my tongue until I could no longer maintain control. "WHAT IN THE WORLD WERE YOU DOING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PAVEMENT! I KNOW THAT YOU'RE MISSING A FEW SCREWS, BUT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD, ARE YOU TRYING TO KILL YOURSELF!?!" He only took one tiny sip of the milk, entirely ignoring my explosion just turning his head to say, "This milk is amazing! Where did this come from?" My jaw hanged open while my thoughts were going beserk; what in the world is wrong with this lunatic? Clearing my throat, I took a deep breath and collected my nerves as well as I could....Oh forget it. "It came from, I don't know, maybe a cow!"
"That explains its refine taste. Surely, I must thank your mother for her kindness," he resumed with his strange tendencies.
He continued his praise for the milk until I got a hold of his wrist, staring into his dark, tunnelled eyes,"Nathan no more ninteenth century courtesies. Please tell me what happened. I mean, seriously, what were you doing? Tell me everything, I need to know how you just get yourself into messes like this." He wriggled on the sofa, until I realized that my tight grip was hurting him. I quickly let go as he gave me a glare reluctantly beginning with his story. Well so much for being gentle.
"Well, everything is a vast word, but I'll tell you as much as I can. To be honest, last night there was a huge solar disturbance and when I diverted it, it also caused a massive rainstorm here. I tried to come to school today, but I just felt too tired to walk so I decided to take a nap." I raised an eyebrow, "In the middle of the pavement where you could have died of pneumonia?" He suddenly frowned, "Me? Die? I wouldn't have died! I'd just....would have had a cold."
There is one thing I've learnt about Nathan in the past month, that arguing with him was pointless; he was the most stubborn person I've ever met. "Life story?" I asked rather abruptly as he carefully began formulating his answer, "Well I can tell you that my personal life isn't very interesting. I don't have parents as I told you earlier, I live wherever I want, I've got this irritating relative and I definitely don't need you sneaking around with my private information, so shush now." He definitely was emphasizing on privacy. Though sorry to say, but his private information was useless. I wonder why he never tells me anything..... Maybe I'm being too nosy in his personal affairs? If its private, its private, correct? But what is with all his crazy talk about Solar whats-izts?? Is he serious? I just sighed in defeat, patting him on the back,"I'm glad you're alive. Just don't go finding danger, I don't want my friend to get hurt now." He straightened his blanket staring at me as if I offended him, scoffing, "None of that soppy stuff please. I'd rather die than listen to it." Once again, my anger management failed me and we had a very long fight which started from "soppy stuff" and ended till the part when we agreed that the treatment of dairy cows was a violation of animal right. Yes, we do have a habit of arguing our way into an agreement on a completely different topic. What can I say? This is the new "normal" for us.