Chapter 4- Questions

The days of school I expected to be insufferably slow were flying by.

January soon changed to March, and March to May as days flew by at a blink of an eye. Of course the workloads only increased and the sweltering heat rise as the daily temperatures reached their peak. Usually, May was the most miserable of months due to its merciless bombarding of both high temperatures and the final exams' stress, yet this time it was much better. You can thank Nathan for that, since his....uh..colourful personality did light up the days. Afternoons were more exciting and unexpected. With Nathan's breezy mood swings, even the heat didn't catch my attention. Especially if those 'mood swings' included a complete change in his personality within a fortnight. Sometimes he would just creep me out with an amazing Rocky Balboa accent (hey, I'm not one who gives such high praise so easily), while otherwise he would act like a tiny, whiny baby forcing me to stand for hours in the cafeteria line just for an icecream. Yes, this is a normal school day for me now.
Yup, ever since January Nathan and I have grown dramatically, our friendship more solid than ever. His weirdness is still at extreme heights, but I guess that is what makes his personality more welcoming.... I think? Maybe its just me, but I think I have picked up on his strange, carefree attitude. I mean, I'm not even suprised by his antics anymore. Rather, they make me want to join in just to have a good laugh. I mean...how can you expect to be normal after you spend time with Nathan?

Monday_
As school finally ended and the large, rusted, ebony colured steel gates screeched open, I was ready to walk home. It had been quite a long day... I think. I wouldn't really know since I had piled the fat math books to form a really soft pillow to nap on. Surprising how Mr Kaplan or the other teachers didn't notice me. Hmph. Heading straight out along the path that would lead to the area's bus stop, I sensed Nathan's presense. He was following me, hiding in my shadow. What. A. Baby. When I looked back,  he quickly hid behind one of the neighbouring park's lush emerald  tree and the second time behind the dustbin as if I wouldn't see him. It was  quite obvious as a tree would definitely not have two piercing eyes, a cheeky smile or a very ugly pastell green school uniform. Sighing, I played along in his game, continuing to walk on, pretending that I didn't know he was there. Sighhhh, what I would do for Nathan.

My ears pricked up at the irregular sound of the rustling leaves and, as expected there he was ahead of me. "BOO!" He jumped in front of my way as I painfully raised my eyebrows so he wouldn't get dissapointed,"Scared you huh? See? And you said I was a scaredy cat!" He began dancing around like a toddler who had eaten way too much candy. I just smiled, not forced as I had taught myself to do, but absolutely naturally. It was something I had done after a very long time, and the long forgotten feeling of genuine happiness seemed to shine through me, as warm as the sun. It felt..so..good experiencing true joy after such a long time. Although it seems like a small feat to most, to me this emotion was baffling, a nostalgic reminder from the past...
Realizing that I had zoned out, and had worried Nathan who had stopped his happy dance, I grinned and accepted defeat. If anything was  scary about Nathan, it was his ability to change the mood and state of mind of himself, and of others too. Remembering the first time I met him, he was speaking with such formality as if he were a baron from the 19th century, while in the second week he began his 'moody teenager' behavior, and now he was prancing around like a five year old. True he is weird, but that is what I love about him. I don't want him to ever change, to ever get hurt like I had been in the past. I just...I just wish that nothing ever changes who he is. Not like me; pathetic, bad tempered and...alone.