Chapter 10- Stars

We burst through the cinema doors, dashing towards the counter as a person would dash for the last train home at rush hour. The screens above said that there were only two tickets left for the last movie, so running was the only option. "I thought you were going to buy the tickets in advance," I nagged Nathan who tried his best to change the subject, " whatever, let's try to get the ticket now!"
As we neared the counter, I noticed another pair of kids approach, two sixth graders I recognised from school, also running for the last seats. The girl noticed me staring at her, and returned my gaze with a mischievous, jeering grin, her hand flailing back and forth. Was she really.....challenging me? Out of all people, me? That little brat doesn't know who she's dealing with! I could already feel the heat gather on my cheeks as competitive spirit surged through me. With a sudden sprint, I had overtaken Nathan, running my fastest speed but the girls were already closing in. Without even thinking, I dove towards the counter like a missile, my arms furiously crashing on it. Now that I think about it, it felt as if I was almost flying. "Two tickets...for that film," I puffed out in exhaustion as the man at the counter raised an eyebrow at me. "Did you seriously just tackle the counter for  tickets? Anyways here you go, two tickets for 'eleventh sun'", he tiredly took the money from my hands in exchange for the tickets,"the people who come here...honestly," he continued muttering to himself. Poor chap must have gotten a heart attack seeing a sixteen year old hurl herself like a rugby player to the counter. "No! This can't be!" A screechy voice reverberated behind me,"why did you get the tickets first? You weren't supposed to! I mean, come on why were you running?" The girl continuously wailed as I continued to mock her by fanning myself with the tickets. Nathan gave me the 'let's give her the tickets, she's just a kid' look, but before he could muck up my victory, I answered, "look here, Mr creampuff there actually believes your wailing", I firmly replied while pointing to Nathan,"but I don't. You challenged us, and we won fair and square so there is no point of being a sore loser." I twisted my eyes into tiny slits as I focused into her dark brown corneas, giving her the 'back off' glare. She blinked multiple times, and tried to hide the small gulp she made as she trudged off with her friend, shooting me a vengeful expression when she was as far away as possible. Another job well done, I thought while clapping my hands together."Uh...Sesame?" Nathan's uncertain voice whispered,"I think we should have given her the ticket." "Nonsense! Mr Creampuff, why would you give tickets to her? Finders keepers plus a challenge is a challenge," I folded by hands tightly and flashed a stern expression. His face grew expressionless within seconds, his eyes tiredly drooping and as dark as ever,"You are so....."
"Competititive? Daring?"
"Confusing. Sometimes you are way too lively with all the tackling, and then you are back to being negative. Sheesh, you are one complicating person. Are all girls like this?"
I winked at him,"maybe. That's what makes us awesome. Now stop dawdling and let's go buy the popcorn!" I tugged and dragged him by the wrist as he irritably called out behind me; his face red,"And my name is NOT Mr Creampuff!"
After buying some warm, molten butter popcorn, we navigated through the dark room and settled into our seats. "So, how's it so far?" I asked as he fidgeted in his place."Its alright, but way too dark! I just tripped five times on the steps and while walking through the lane, someone kicked me really hard on the shin," he softly grumbled while rubbing the sore area on his leg. "Crybaby," I managed to mutter just before the people behind us started shushing us.
As the already dim lights darkened, the room was turned pitch black, the previously loud chatter of the audience dying into a silence along with the lights. With a sudden spark, colours of the spectrum filled the dark sky as the loud blasts of a ship echoed from the speakers. Instantly, the film began with a spaceship hovering at exhilarating speed, flying so fast that my eyes followed behind it in confusing circles. The stars in the background twinkled with such a bright glow, that it felt as if they were ready to pop out of the screen while the colourful variety of planets combined into forming the colours of the rainbow, as the spaceship zoomed through the folds of Space. The special affects were fantastic; the rotation of the planets, the sharp rays of the sun and even the gaseous nebulae added a realistic dimension to the movie. Every scene change would leave me, arched upwards on my seat, the excitement almost about to burst out of me. I glanced at Nathan who, for some odd reason, wasn't impressed by the setting of the film; he tried to hide it but his eyes told me that he had seen this before. "Its quite realistic, huh?" I softly whispered to him as he quietly continued to watch.
After the brilliant showcasing of the vast scenery of outer space, the movie neared its climax. The person who drove the ship was actually in search of a new home, after Earth had been destroyed. He quietly encircled the destroyed Earth, its barren trees lit with flames while the land was cracked up and the water the colour of scarlet blood. I could feel the main character's fear, climbing up my spine as he said his final goodbye to his home; a now dying planet. He continued his search for fellow species, something that was taken for granted on Earth, but now was a privilege in space.
The audience maintained its hushed vigil, waiting for a happy end but there was none.
The human continued his search for another of his kind for eternity. He had been so blinded by his quest to find another Earth, that he hadn't noticed the beauty of the universe around him. His ignorance had left his last days lost in space with nothing left in his heart, but regret.
As the lights once again lit the room, I gave a long yawn. Was it already 8:45pm? The audience began its slow accession as we headed to the exit.