CHAPTER 28 - THE DARE

HIM

The cinnamon and musk cologne coalesced into the fresh steam, giving the room an edge. I walked up to my wardrobe, ready for my day, as I looked through. A smile appeared on my face, noticing my favorite shirt, clearly ironed and placed into a grey blazer, right where I could see it.

"Did these girls play with my things too?" I wondered as I laid the outfit on the bed, turning to choose a grey pair of pants.

-"But I wonder, which one of these girls did this for me."

-"My girl."

I shook my head blushing at the thought as my eyes fell on the photograph I had tucked into my brown folder.

"Those were the best times of my life." I thought smilingly, and then got going for my day.

I swung around a grey tie as I looked for the file I had given to her to review.

"What took her so long? Suhaana?" I collected the file from the drawer as I marched to the shoe cabinet.

"Who was it at this early hour? Must be Rudra." I polished my shoes as I heard my sister's wailing.

"It's too early for drama-" I murmured, setting my hair, "-And today is the day my hair choose not to cooperate." I let them be on their own as I picked up my other shoe bolting through the door when my sister's wining got a little too much.

"'Suhaana why is Sam..."

The shoe dropped from my hand as I tried to take in a few deep breaths, all my efforts completely futile - for there stood my father, a damsel in distress of my sister and Suhaana, turning to me and then at my Baba who was now staring at me.

"What did you do now?" My eyes demanded of Samira as she buried her face in her hands.

"Where is Soumya! I demand to speak only to her." Baba said bringing me back. I turned around to see Akka in the balcony, attempting to jump off the railing.

"Oh, my god what the fu...?" I sprinted into the balcony to pull her off the railing and shook her shoulders to bring her back to her senses.

"I want to die! I swear I want to die!"

"But what happened?"

"Do you not see what happened?"

"Are you talking about Baba?"

"No, I am talking about you two." I arched my brow as I tilted my head.

"That's insulting."

"You two are an insult to humanity."

"What did I do now?"

"Nothing. That's what. That's why she did what she did and doomed my existence."

"What do you mean?"

"I want to jump off this building. That's what."

"Akka, bolo na."

"She drunk dialed, Baba-"

"-SOUMYA SUBAH SINGHANIA IF I DO NOT SEE YOU IN THE NEXT TEN SECONDS, THE REPERCUSSIONS WILL BE HARD ON YOU AND YOUR SIBLINGS FOR I KNOW YOU ARE OUT THERE ON THE BALCONY TRYING TO ESCAPE WITH THE HELP OF A BUNCH OF YOUR MOTHER'S SAREES, WHICH I SAW FROM OUTSIDE. SO YOU BETTER COME OUT OR ELSE!-"

"Baba listen to me. Akka hadn't done anything. It is I who...who..." I hurriedly mumbled as I ran inside dragging a rather unwilling Akka.

"Oh, here they come. The apples of my wife's eye. The children she bore. The supposed heirs of our empire who do nothing except to incinerate its name."