How To Have Your First Flight

For the next four days, Leo, Don, and Mikey worked on finding a way to let Leo ride on Nazo's back and control his left wing.

The first day they built a saddle that would go on Nazo's back and make Leo more comfortable, and they made a holding grip so that Leo could hold on. They had a shell of a time trying get the saddle on Nazo, but eventually succeeded. At first they thought Leo could just tie a string to the flight piece and pull it in the directions to fly, but when Nazo made a sharp turn Leo still fell off.

The second day they made up the stirrups, to keep Leo's feet in place. Then they made a hook and chain that attached to a special belt that Leo was going to wear when he rode Nazo. Both the stirrups and hook kept Leo on, and could be removed by Leo in times of emergency. The only problem was that Leo had a hard time trying to pull the string in different directions to steer and at the same time look where he and Nazo were going.

The third day Don had come up with a better way to steer the flight piece. Don took two gear shift changers (you know, the one on the bike handlebars) and attached them to each of the handles on the saddle. Then he attached a line from the gears to the flight piece so that Leo could use the gear shifts to turn up, down, left, and right, and so that he could watch where he was going instead of concentrating just on the flight piece.

Day four was the day that Don taught Leo how to use each of the gears. He told Leo that the gear shift for his left hand was to move up and down, and the gear shift for his right hand was to move left and right. For his left hand, shift one moved him up and shift two moved him down. For his right hand, shift one moved him right, and shift two moved him left. If he just wanted to fly straight then he kept the gear shifts in the middle where Don had wrote ' Straight '. And when Leo got off Nazo's back, the flight piece would automatically close. Leo and Nazo then spent the rest of the day, practicing and memorizing the gear shifts.

Finally, they had completed their task and were ready for a test flight!!

Leo felt nervous the next day as he climbed on Nazo's saddle. Don was giving the flight suit(as they now called it) one last inspection, then handed Leo a com-link, headset.

" Don't worry bro, I'll be helping you out until your comfortable on your own, if you forget anything, just talk to me through the headset " Don told Leo giving him a quick green thumbs up.

Leo only nodded slightly. " You know, you should be doing this, not me " Leo said in a shaky voice.

Don gave Leo a ' it's just that your nervous, and it's your dragon ' look, causing Leo to smile.

" Man, this is going to be awesome, good thing I brought popcorn " Mikey said walking up beside Don, stuffing his face with a handful of popcorn.

Leo rolled his eyes and so did Don.

" Alright, everything seems to be fine, you ready Leo? " Don asked patting Nazo.

Leo was about to say no, but he slowed his breathing before replying.

" Yes " he said simply.

Don smiled as he and Mikey backed away from him and Nazo.

Leo tapped Nazo's sides slightly with his feet, meaning that Nazo could go. Nazo got a running start before jumping into the air.

As soon as they left the ground, Leo moved his left gear shift up to the ones place. He heard the flight piece open up and move upwards, causing Nazo to move high above the city (they had to be up high so that they wouldn't hit any buildings). As soon as they were high enough Leo switched the gear shift back to the middle or to where it said straight, causing Nazo to stop moving up and fly straight forward.