CHAPTER 2

Mi-ho grabs Dae-woong’s hand and leads him to her “very special discovery,” while every man on campus goes gaga for her. A typical characteristic of the gumiho is beauty but her appeal is more than just skin deep, and she has an especially alluring aura that captivates men. Thus Dae-woong is the object of every guy’s envy… only he would beg to differ.

With a flourish, Mi-ho points to her big discovery: A restaurant is serving a freshly killed cow, and she’s just dying to eat some. This is a familiar routine for them, and today Dae-woong puts his foot down — no! He can’t afford beef!

At his flat denial, Mi-ho raises her eyebrows in an “O rly?” expression, then leans in close to whisper, “Then I’ll want to eat you.” That puts the fear of god into Dae-woong, who cowers. She starts to sing a little ditty, asking, “Fox, fox, what’s up? I’m eating rice. What are you eating it with? Some Dae-woong side dishes!”

She playfully asks, “Did he die? Did he live?” He gulps fearfully, and she declares, “He lived!” and runs off exuberantly to eat some beef.

So how’d he get here? Now we jump back in time.

Dae-woong records a video at action school with the aid of Sun-nyeo and his buddies. In stark contrast to his timidity of the opening scene, here he puts out a strong, masculine energy as he swoops across the gym on wires and brandishes a sword menacingly. He’s doing this in the hopes of putting it online and becoming a success story, and needs it to look cool.

The whole group hangs on Dae-woong’s every word, and he clearly enjoys being the leader. He’s also got that rich-boy carelessness about him, such as when he buys everyone ice cream like he’s the star of a drama treating the staff. He brags about the movie role he has almost, just about won — he’s a finalist and his last audition is coming up.

He brings his buddies Sun-nyeo and Byung-soo to his grandfather’s hair salon and promises them free perms, and gets his own hair set in anticipation of his audition. Too bad the manager calls in Grandpa, who growls at Dae-woong for abusing his status as the owner’s grandson yet again. Thinking fast, Dae-woong hastily pretends he’s going to pay this time. And then runs away.

He speeds away on his flashy new motorcycle, paid for with tuition money furnished by Grandpa — who needs an education when you’re just about to become a movie star? However, he is pulled over by a cop because Grandpa has reported the bike as stolen, so Dae-woong is hauled in to jail. Where his big worry is that his hair will be over-permed. LOL.

Aunt Min-sook bails him out and takes Dae-woong’s side, as she’s more lenient than her father. Grandpa is determined to straighten Dae-woong out, however, and announces that he’s sending him off to a rigorous academy to get some education. He orders him to re-enroll in school.

Dae-woong protests wildly — what about his audition? Grandpa is unmoved, and says that until Dae-woong becomes a person (meaning, a mature adult), he’s grounded. He means it, and won’t even let Dae-woong out of his clutches to go pee.

This will not do. Dae-woong offers up one shoe as collateral that he won’t run away, and that buys him a little space when they drop by a rest station. He hides himself in an empty garbage bag, so when Grandpa comes searching for him, he assumes Dae-woong fled out the window.

Grandpa yells in frustration, and Dae-woong sneaks onto the back of a grocery delivery truck. Escape complete!