CHAPTER 9

He goes around to all his friends to ask for some money, which he assumes will be no big deal since he’s spent so much on them. But one by one, they lie that they’re broke and leave him hanging. Mi-ho can smell the money in their pockets (making for a hilarious bit of butt-sniffing), so Dae-woong is doubly embarrassed to be confronted by the fact that his so-called friends are…well, not so much.

Mi-ho asks if he doesn’t believe her, and asks why he’s doing nothing when all his friends are lying to him. Is he scared? At that, Dae-woong goes back to his friend, and hands him all the cash in his own pocket, telling him to eat lunch with that. Mi-ho is extra confused now—why did he give his money to the lying friend? He tells her angrily that sometimes it’s better NOT to know things, and that pretending is less embarrassing. He snaps at her that she’s not human, so not to meddle in human things, making her pout.

She tries to follow him into the library, but he tells her she can’t go inside without an ID, and since she’s not a person—no name, no social security number—she can’t follow. She pouts again, and tells him not to look down on her because she’s not human, and he counters that because she’s not, he’s afraid of her. Once he leaves her there, she sighs, wanting so much to go someplace where only humans can enter.

Inside, Dae-woong frantically starts researching the gumiho legend. He looks for some way to make her leave him, thinking that it must be similar to exorcising a ghost. But, being the slacker that he is, gets bogged down in all the old-timey language and gives up. He complains out loud in the middle of the library that these old dudes have never even SEEN a gumiho, so what do they know? And why, of all people, did she have to choose him?

A light bulb goes off as he remembers the temple. He looks it up and finds a news story with the two scroll paintings side by side—the original, and the one with the missing fox. He realizes that he freed the gumiho by drawing the nine tails.

Outside, Mi-ho runs into one of Dae-woong’s lying friends, and she returns his runaway basketball…full-force right at his head. He goes down and she walks away, realizing that she just insulted the guy for following Dae-woong around and getting stuff for free…which is exactly what she’s doing. But then she consoles herself that she’s neither human nor Dae-woong’s friend, so it’s okay.

He asks her if she’s really the fox from the painting, and she answers yes. He remembers being so scared that night and making a mistake with his pen—and it turns out that the dot became a mole on her shoulder too. He’s crushed to confirm that he can’t complain why-me anymore, since this was all his own doing.

Mi-ho offers that because he set her free, she gave him the thing that was most precious to her, as she puts her hand on his chest. She says to think of it like he’s taking responsibility for her, which of course has an entirely different meaning in Korean, where sex = responsibility.