CHAPTER 18

Now starting to panic, she cries out after him.

Dae-woong doesn’t feel proud of himself, but he tells himself firmly that he doesn’t care what happens to her, that she’s the reason nothing’s working out for him.

On the boat, Mi-ho huddles off to the side, shivering. She realizes, “He abandoned me and left. And after he promised.”

Tears start to fall from her eyes, just as the clear skies suddenly cloud over and the sunshower (fox rain) starts to fall.

The rainfall stops Dae-woong in his tracks, realizing what this means: “Mi-ho is crying.”

COMMENTS

Aw, so sad and touching! I LOVE wimpy Dae-woong, and that he blames everything on Mi-ho and ditches her and is basically a big old coward. I’m sure he’ll regret his actions later, but I like that our nontraditional hero is so flawed.

The incorporation of Mi-ho’s tears into the familiar story of the origin of the sunshower is a nice touch — it’s an existing myth, but twisted with the Hong Sisters Touch to fit this drama. It’s like the fox bead, which adds another layer to the romance, because I’m pretty sure it’ll be used as a metaphor for Mi-ho’s heart — if Dae-woong tramples on her heart, or her bead, he hurts her both physically and emotionally.

On top of that, the Hong sisters have a way of making the romance compelling swiftly. In many dramas, I may not feel the romantic pull until Episode 8, or even 10, and that’s not a bad thing. But it’s a curious and admirable thing to feel it in Episode 3, and as strongly as this.

I really don’t have much to say today, because I just loved everything about the episode. It just works for me, and hits in all the right places, both funnybone-wise and heartstrings-wise