CHAPTER 8

Gumiho hunter Dong-joo figures out the phone number pattern that Dae-woong was going for, and reaches his aunt. He pretends to be Dae-woong’s friend and asks to confirm Dae-woong’s cell number.

At the rooftop room above the action school, Mi-ho chomps down on some chicken, as Dae-woong apologizes for not being able to get beef at this late hour. He reconfirms with her that until she can safely retrieve the fox bead that saved him, she has to stick by his side. This could be true or just an excuse she made up to be near him, and it doesn’t much matter to me either way. I sort of like the idea that she could make anything up about gumihos, and he’d have to believe her now.

When the camera pulls back, we see that Dae-woong is still sitting on his knees. He tries to figure a way out of it, but is scared back when he sees her tearing at the chicken bones with zeal. Mi-ho: “Dae-woong-ah, while you have my fox bead, I can’t let you go. You’re MINE.” She smiles, pleased as pudding, and Dae-woong laughs nervously. He starts calling her Gu Mi-ho-sshi and being polite out of fear. He’s using a funny mix of heightened honorifics with banmal, because he both fears her but reacts to her as if she’s a child.

He goes inside and decides that for now, if he keeps her well-fed on beef, then she won’t try to eat HIM. While practicing his sword skills in case he has to defend himself, he comes upon a movie costume of armor and wears it for protection. Mi-ho wonders if she’s really that scary, since all she did was save him. Dae-woong says that still, what if she sees his exposed liver and gets hungry?

She gets offended: “Have you ever seen me eat a liver? Have you seen me scoop out someone’s liver and eat it?” Dae-woong replies that she IS a gumiho, after all….to which she just sighs and gives in. Mi-ho: “Fine. I’m a gumiho. Watch your liver.” And with that, she goes to sleep.

Dong-joo the gumiho hunter finds Dae-woong’s information easily online, and smiles to himself that it’ll be an easy hunt. He reveals a wall of gumiho-related information (what’s with everyone and their Big Boards lately?) and takes out a mystical knife with ancient carvings. He sneers, wondering why the gumiho ran away to become human, instead of staying put where she belongs.

Dae-woong sleeps in his suit of armor outside, and Mi-ho watches over him. She says that she had fun today because she got to be with him, so she’s happy that while her fox bead heals him, she gets to stay by his side longer. She notices mosquitoes hovering above him, so she gleefully catches them all, and tells the sleeping Dae-woong that neither the mosquitoes nor she will eat him tonight, so he can sleep soundly. She looks out at the city from the rooftop, and marvels at how beautiful the world has become.

Grandpa and Aunt Min-sook worry over Dae-woong, and Grandpa bemoans the fact that while Dae-woong always caused all sorts of trouble, he’s never caused any GIRL trouble…until now. He tells her to cut off his credit cards. Min-sook wonders what on earth the girl said over the phone, and Grandpa says it’s not for her unmarried ears to hear. She gets in a huff about his bringing up her singledom and leaves

Dae-woong’s card gets declined at the restaurant right after Mi-ho eats her weight in meat, and he’s forced to fork over what little cash he has left. She stops him to buy her a soda on the street, and I love how her expressions can range from innocent and clueless to I-will-eat-your-liver-for-breakfast-and-polish-it-off-with-this-bubbly-water.

His coin gets stuck in the machine, so he starts kicking it, and she joins in. with one swift kick the whole vending machine comes crashing down, and soda comes popping out of it. They grab and dash.

Min-sook takes a sip of her iced coffee in front of the elevator and gets an ice cube stuck in her throat. Just then, Chow Yun-fat Lite gets off the elevator and discovers her choking, so he slings her over his shoulder, and jumps up and down until the ice cube pops back out. Well I have never seen someone do the Heimlich maneuver like that! Min-sook dies of embarrassment and the man walks away, his fantasy soundtrack blaring.

Dae-woong takes Mi-ho to school with him, and she marvels at the university, knowing at least from visitors to the temple that it’s a prestigious place where everyone prays fervently to attend. She thinks Dae-woong’s pretty cool for going to one, which his fragile puffed-up ego enjoys very much. He tells her that people at university are very smart, so she’ll have to pretend to be human and not do anything to be detected. She promises to act human, and asks Dae-woong eagerly if she really looks human, if she stands still and doesn’t do anything. Heh. He admits that she does, which pleases her.