1. Acid (Leo Fitz from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.)

My radio suddenly crackled to life, drawing my attention away from the electronic Majong game in front of me. "Cora, would you mind coming down here a moment?" Jemma Simmon's voice spoke with lots of panicked background noise.
   "On my way." I replied, getting to my feet. I left my laptop on the comfy chair I had been relaxing in on the 'Bus', clipping my radio to my hip. I took the stairs two at a time, reaching the lab in less than a minute.
   Jemma was waiting by the door, wringing her hands nervously. It didn't take me long to identify the problem: Leo Fitz was running around the lab, grabbing his hair, mumbling to himself, and grabbing things here and there before depositing them on the table in the middle of the room. I realized that he was upset about his latest assignment, so it'd be best to act natural to try to calm him down.
   "What's up?" I asked, entering the lab. Leo shook his head, talking louder and sort-of to me now.
   "I can't figure it out." He grabbed at his hair again. "The mixture, the equation, it's all fine. I can't determine what's missing."
   "Have you tried Cerium?" Jemma asked.
   "Yes, and it did nothing." He informed her. His voice was desperate. I pressed my lips together, trying to think of something to calm him down.
   "What if we took a break? Coulson allowed me to buy some lemonade at our last stop." I suggested. Leo had begun shaking his head when I said 'break', but suddenly he shook his index finger slightly.
   "That's it!" He cried.
   With surprised eyes, I watched as he rushed to a cabinet and pulled out a jar of liquid.
   "Acid!" Jemma shot forward, joining him at the table. It took my brain a little bit longer than it should've to put 'lemonade' and 'acid' together, but I got it. The two scientists, well, my best friends squealed with delight as whatever was on the table did whatever it was supposed to and I smiled at their reaction. I couldn't help but be surprised when, in pure joy, Leo ran over to me and hugged me.
   "Cora, you're brilliant!" He cried, releasing me. Then, still geeked, he grabbed me again, but this time he pressed his lips to mine for a brief moment. Once he pulled away and realized what he had done, his face turned as red as a tomato!
   "Happy to help." I said awkwardly, an uncontrollable smile on my face. "Especially with rewards like that."
   Spinning on my heels, I sprinted away and up the stairs, my face as red as Leo's. I heard Jemma squeal behind me as I fled. Unfortunately, someone with crossed arms was waiting for me at the top of the stairs.
   "Did you have to encourage him?"

(Published August 20, 2021)