Chapter 1: No Running in a Hospital Unless it's an Emergency, Idiot!

Chapter 1: No Running in a Hospital Unless it’s an Emergency, Idiot!

(POV: Charlotte)

“Charlotte, it’s time to check your vitals,” a sweet voice disturbed the eerie silence in my room. The only other noise was the soft, slow beeps that indicated I was still alive, and that my heart was still beating.

I turned over and blinked as the bright light from outside blinded me. Nurse Ellen stood before me and her tan hand reached forward to take my wrist, and asked me how I slept as she took my pulse. Just another regular morning.

Well normal for a kid in the hospital.

It’s been 2 months since I have been in the hospital. Most people think being stuck in the hospital is the worst. Yeah it is pretty hard, being around sick people all day. It can be pretty depressing, but you make the most out of it.

For example, I’ve now had time to read multiple book series, and beat some video games I never had time to beat before. I’ve also seen almost every movie with Morgan Freeman in it. By far my favorite is “Shawshanked Redemption”

But after 2 months, even sneaking around the hospital avoiding nurses gets boring.

Typical days for me meant get my vitals checked at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, study in the morning, play video games or read after lunch, talk with some of the other teenagers here at the hospital, and then after dinner watch a movie, then attempt to sleep through the night.

Yeah, I don’t sleep very well. So I normally begin the day with lying when asked how I slept.

“Pretty good, got a decent 7 hours,” I replied to the nurse. That’s pure bullshit, I maybe slept 3 hours last night.

“Well that’s good. I’m glad. How are you feeling?” the nurse asked, smiling. Nurse Ellen is a sweetie, bless her heart. I really have no idea how such a sweet women can take a job that deals with dying children.

Actually, I have no idea how any of the doctors or nurses here in the pediatric ward deal with this.

Dealing with dying people in general is pretty hard, but when it’s children, you want to see them running around and enjoying their years of freedom, not hooked up to machines in a cold white room.

“I am feeling a bit better today than I have been. I think I may see some of my friends today, if that’s alright,” I told her. It’s true, physically I feel a little better. I don’t feel as weak as I normally do, because of my slow heart, and I have a bit more energy. The only reason I am really seeing my friends though is because they worry about me if I don’t call.

Sure I like hanging out with my friends, but as of the accident it just kind of hurts to be around other people, to be laughing and having fun. I’m trying to move on but it’s difficult.

“Oh, that’s awesome! Of course you can see them for a few hours, just don’t overdo it sweetie,” Nurse Ellen exclaimed. “You’re all done for now, so you can go get breakfast.” and the nurse left the room.

I sat up and stretched. I’d love to lie in bed for another 5 or 6 hours, but I told Nurse Ellen I was doing fine. There is no doubt that if I’m not up in the next hour, she will be in here for sure asking how I am feeling again.

I quickly switched the monitor on my finger to the portable one I could just stuff into my pocket. It’s a little wire that runs from a sticker on my chest to a mini device that looks exactly like a heart monitor, but the size of an iPhone 4. I grabbed a pair of jeans and a tank top then went in the bathroom to change.