Chapter 2: You're Saved, because You Saved Me

A/N: Hello, my name is Meghan, and as you can see I am a writer. If you have been reading this far, you know that this story is a medical drama. And as you can see, I am a writer, not a doctor. I do some research when I don't know much about what I'm talking about, but the imformation may not be completely correct. You have been warned.

Chapter 2: You're Saved, because You Saved Me

(POV: Charlotte)

“Can you check, Charlotte’s vitals, Dr. Brad?” Nurse Adrian asked my new doctor. He nodded, and Nurse Adrian left.

Jeez, I may be stuck with an idiot. This guy’s gonna have to do a lot to prove to me he’s not an idiot.

Yeah I know I sound judgey, it was only an accident that he ran into me, but if I’ve learned one thing while I’m here in the hospital, it’s that you should not run in the hospital unless it’s an emergency. Being late is not an emergency, someone dying and you have to get to them is an emergency.

Dr. Brad cleared his throat, about to speak. I just held out my wrist, allowing him to do whatever he needed to do.

“Thanks,” he commented. He took my wrist in his warm hand and pressed two fingers in it, while he looked at his watch. “I’m really sorry about earlier, I had a meeting to get to, and I was late. Running in the halls wasn’t my greatest idea. Are you doing alright? You weren’t hurt, were you?”

Well no shit running in the halls wasn’t a great idea. Just as I thought, an idiot. “I’m fine, I was just surprised is all,” I replied, turning my head to look outside at the setting sun.

“I’m glad you weren’t hurt,” he noted. “Can you sit up? I ne-” he cut off when I sat up.

“I know the routine,” I grumbled, allowing the doctor to listen to my heart. He placed the cold disc of his stethoscope over my hear. I saw him frown slightly. Hmm, smart enough to notice I had a bad heart, should I be surprised?

He took it off and then moved it to my back. “Breathe in,” I did so. “Breathe out.”

He finished his exam. “Do you need anything?” he asked me. He seemed flustered, I was probably making him uncomfortable with my attitude toward him. I decided to let him go.

“No, thank you,” I replied.

“Alright. I’ll be going home tonight, but I’ll be here tomorrow. See ya then,” he explained, and went to the door to leave.

“Bye,” I waved. He waved too, smiling slightly. I picked at my pasta again. Outside I overheard Nurse Adrian talking to Dr. Brad.

“I don’t think she likes me,” Dr. Brad spoke. He seemed a little upset.

“Charlotte doesn’t grow to people easily, just give it a week. If she still acts like this around you then we can make a change,” Nurse Adrian explained.

“Alright,” Dr. Brad replied.

I felt pretty bad now. I shouldn’t have been so rude, it really was only a mistake. I should have given him a chance.

I’ll repair things tomorrow.

Lying back I turned on the TV and started marathoning Say Yes to the Dress.

I blinked my eyes open to see the cloudy world outside. It was raining hard outside. A warm blanket was draped over my body. I must have fallen asleep sometime during the night. Looking at my desk, I could see it was only 7:30. It felt like I maybe had slept two hours. I sat up to check my history on On Demand to see how many episodes I watched, but when I sat up I fell back down. I couldn’t hold myself up.