𝚇𝙸

[A/N] Hello, my lovely readers😌 Just wanted to say that this chapter is a bit of a wild one😳 I'm gonna put a little trigger warning for self harm in the latter half of this chapter before we start so that ye know what's coming up. I promise it won't be this depressing forever :,)

Enjoy!

𝙲𝚑𝚊𝚙𝚝𝚎𝚛 𝙴𝚕𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗 → 𝙰 𝙵𝚘𝚛𝚔 𝚒𝚗 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚁𝚘𝚊𝚍

⊹ 𝟷𝟸-𝟷𝟺-𝟷𝟿𝟼𝟽 ⊹

"Are we there yet?" There was a pause. "Mummy? Are we there yet?"

"No, Jules," I responded finally. "Not yet."

"Well, are we almost there?" he asked.

"Almost," I responded even though we still had about another hour before we arrived in London. "How about you take a nap? It'll make the time pass faster," I said, secretly hoping that he would take my advice and I wouldn't have to listen to him ask if we were there yet every five minutes. As much as I loved him, it got a bit tedious after about twenty minutes of that routine.

"Are you sure?" he asked me. Lady meowed and I once again felt a small pang of guilt for locking her in a crate.

"Yes," I responded, smiling at him in the mirror. "I'm very sure."

Julian rubbed his eyes vaguely. I could tell that he was tired just by looking at him. He was excited to get back to London to see Paul and his dad, though I wasn't entirely sure if John knew that we were coming back today. He hadn't exactly made an effort to figure out when we were coming home.

After a few minutes, Julian drifted to sleep with his head against the car door, and the car was left in silence—all apart from the few mews that I got from Lady. I decided to turn the radio up, but not too loud because I was terrified of waking Julian.

To my utter disappointment, the first song I heard on the radio station was a damned Beatles song. It was an old one, certainly, one called "You Really Got a Hold On Me". I remembered when the band had recorded it. It was one of the first recording sessions I had been able to attend after the birth of Julian.

⊹ ⊹ ⊹

"Are you sure I can't just give her one call?" I asked John anxiously. "What if Julian misses me? What if something happened to him?"

A small smile pulled John's lips upward and he reached forward, putting his hands on my elbows. I looked up into his eyes. "Why so worried?" he asked me. "We spent the past month looking for a sitter, and you looked extensively into every one of them. Everything's okay. Mrs. Gale knows what she's doing. She's been taking care of kids for twenty years, Liss."