Chapter 7: Thoughtless Facade

Legolas didn't know what to think. He had just left the elf maiden's chamber leaving Tauriel to talk with her alone, but Legolas couldn't understand how she was poisoned, nor why she was. She had just been there for a single day, yet this incident took place.

Legolas frowned at the thought as he made his way to his father with every intention to inform him on what had happened.

Legolas passed hall after hall viewing his subjects work as he did the same. Finally reaching his father's chambers Legolas quickly opened the huge carved doors. "Father," he called out searching the entire room for him, yet he found nothing. He took deep and sturdy steps towards the center pacing his head from left to right.

"Father," he called out once more as the wind's winter cool breeze flitted its way from the balcony and into the room, swaying the white fabric, like lean branches on a tree.

Legolas's eyes steepened, focusing on a certain object that had been placed visibly on the king's bed side. Legolas knew this object had never been there before making him inquisitive as he slowly drew forward. His gaze ever pulsing with anxiety reared in closer as he slowly projects his rough rugged hands onto the object.

He traced the wooden frame with his thumb as he slowly shifted his hand to the back bringing it closer to his face and he knew his father had placed it there on purpose. Perhaps the maiden had changed Thranduil in a mere meeting or perhaps she made him realize something his son couldn't.

Legolas continued to ponder.

In a mere second Legolas transferred the painting to his left hand, placing it back where it was positioned as Legolas looked to the side, sensing his father had been watching him for that mere moment.

Thranduil had just entered the room quietly viewing his son stand before the painting he not long ago acquired. He stood there until his son paced back lowering the painting of himself being carried by what looked like the maiden, but they both knew it wasn't her.

"To what business brings you here, my son," Thranduil said calmly, walking over to his refined and grand table holding fruits of different kinds and flavors as a bowl full of profound glass shards held them upright.

Thranduil strode to the corner of his table grabbing a grape courteously with his thumb and two other fingers. He first examined it warily and finally nudged it hastily into his mouth.

"I came to report to you about the elfish maiden," Legolas said, his body position quite stiff and masculine. He faced his father who didn't show the least bit of interest towards the thought of the maiden making Legolas try another alternative.

"She was poisoned not too long ago, perhaps about three or four hours' time in passing," Legolas's eyes deepened, twitching a sense of curiosity within it.

Thranduil, his mind wondering on what to think swallowed his integrity to the bottom of his stomach as it churned in defiance. His mind did not waver as he lowers his hand holding another grape. He released it calmly, but did not turn to Legolas.

"And you did not think to inform me sooner," Thranduil's tone heightened.

"I did not think you of all people would want to be informed first hand on a maiden whom you regret to bring in," Legolas countered watching Thranduil now pace forward towards his wooden cabinet placed by the wall of one of his utter brilliant and striking balcony arks perched up above all his glass windows, but one which was clearly opened to the chilly winter breeze.

"Yes. You are right, but inform me none the less," Thranduil said looking upon his cabinet as his elegant rugged hands decorated with rings and charms grazed its tinted frame observing neatness.