C3: Wish

Chapter 3 Wish A

Shaw Danon's eyes had never witnessed a night such as this; the clouds had never hung so close to the ground as the darkness of this night. The thunder had never roared so loudly; lightning had never flashed so harshly, making it almost difficult for him to see.

It was as though the sky was falling down.

He stood there, watching the old monk and the man in the black glare at each other, as if it were a battle of wits.

Suddenly, he heard a loud clap of thunder, so loud the shock made his ears buzz, before bearing witness to a streak of lightning race across the sky; coming down into the earth and falling on top of the man's sword.

At that moment, the man in black clothes body swelled, his eyes wide open as though it were about to burst apart. Meanwhile, all of Grasstemple was lit by strong light as bright as the dawn.

Lightning dancing upon the tip of the sword in the night is so beautiful that Shaw Danon lost his breath; and, in the eyes of Puzhi, he appeared to be excited.

"Is this the true power of the Taoists?"

The man only released a loud shout; his left hand pointed at Puzhi, thunder roared and the sword dashed toward Puzhi leaving a dark trail of scorched earth on the ground behind it.

Puzhi took three steps backward, removed the mark, clasped his palms together; cheeky, solemn, his whole body lit up with faint golden light. Puzhi whispered: "my Buddha of compassion!"

"Pop," all the remaining seven jade beads shatter in front of Puzhi; they took the huge form of the word "Buddha"; so bright that it could not be seen.

The next moment, lightning and the word Buddha, clashed together.

Suddenly, Shaw Danon felt his heart begin to race; it was as though all of his body's blood flowed in reverse in an instant. His limbs grew soft and he choked for breath; in this moment, the wind stopped, the thunder stopped, the entire world stopped.

Then, he flew backward involuntarily; without even a chance to feel afraid he witnessed bright white light, even brighter than the sun in the sky. Then, the Grasstemple fell apart.

His heart felt empty, all he could hear was fierce wind sweeping in his ear.

He felt terrified, subconsciously he wished to curl up; but, feeling powerless, he had flown to the unknown.

In his head, the idea arose: "Am I dying?"

Intense fear, sudden palpitations in his heart, his body broken into a cold sweat; trembling, slightly.

When standing in front of death, how to face it?

He passed out, unconscious.

※ ※ ※

Puzhi slowly walked over; shambling, carrying Baye and Shaw Danon to a slightly cleaner area. Placing the two children on the ground he felt a pain in his body, it almost split; no longer able to cope, he collapsed.

He inspected his chest; through the burned cassock, faintly visible, he could see a surge of black gas has gradually encircled the chest leaving only a small place uninvaded.

A smile slowly arose on his face as his arms reached into his clothes. His hand trembling, moving shakily and slowly, drew out a red pill; about the size of a fingertip.

Puzhi sigh and whispered: "Hard to believe Dr. Gho was right; I still need to take his 'Three Days Death Pill' at the end."

He hesitated then finally nodded and swallowed the pill.