Chapter Seventeen

Colin slouched on his throne atop the dais and stared out at the room filled with dancing Fae. He'd considered not attending the ball, but knew his mother would track him down and force him to appear. Although the thought of disrupting her well made plans momentarily appealed to him, he knew his actions would bring her great embarrassment in front of their people, and he couldn’t justify that. It would undermine her authority and make her look weak, not something he would allow, no matter how angry he was with her.

“See anyone you fancy dancing with?” Queen Morgana asked.

 “Not one, Mother.” He thrummed his fingers on the arms of his chair. “’Tis useless. I have no interest in anyone, however lovely they may be.”

“Because of the girl?”

“No,” Colin answered truthfully. Even before he'd met Morgan he hadn't been interested in any of the ladies of court.

“Well, you could at least dance with your sister. If you can find her, that is.”

Colin searched the crowded room for Cait. Masked men and women twirled and spun in a riot of colors that reminded him of his mother's garden. Finding his sister in all of those people seemed a lost cause. Until the crowd shifted.

Leaning forward, Colin watched Cait and Liam as they talked to a young woman wearing a black and green feathered mask. A feeling of recognition stirred in his blood, growing stronger as the girl turned her head and light glinted off her fiery red curls.

His fist clenched, certain he was imagining things. It couldn't be Morgan. She'd moved without seeing him, giving her final goodbye in a letter.

Needing to prove to his overactive imagination that this girl was some other Fae, Colin strode from the dais. The crowd bowed as he moved through, allowing him a clearer view of the young woman. Everything about her reminded him of Morgan, until he was almost certain it was her. But why would she be here?

Colin stopped before the girl, his breath catching in his throat as he caught sight of familiar green eyes framed by the elaborate mask. All conversation around them ceased, but Colin didn't notice. He was too busy losing himself in the emerald gaze he thought he’d never see again.

“Morgan.”

She dropped into a formal curtsy. “Prince Colin.”

His lips twitched. “I thought we were on a first name basis. Have I done something to displease ye, then?”

“No, I just felt the circumstances required formality.”

“Ah, well, now that we’ve observed our formalities, please let us return to our usual manners.”

“As you wish.”

“Aye, it should be.” He brushed a finger over her mask, longing to remove it so he could see if her eyes held the secrets of why she’d left him so suddenly. “I didn’t expect to see ye here.”

She wet her lips, and he followed her tongue with his gaze, longing to kiss her.

“I didn’t expect to be here, but Cait and Liam insisted.”

He frowned at the sight of Cait’s self-satisfied smirk and Liam’s avoidance of his gaze. “And when were ye speaking with my sister and guard?”

“Last night.”

Pain lanced through him at her whispered answer. She hadn’t left like she said. She’d been there all this time. He could have seen her, they could have figured out a way they wouldn’t have to part when she moved. Clearly she didn’t understand that the Vale could be crossed in more places than near her home. But she’d left before he could tell her. Before they could plan for the future.

“I see.” He stared off in the distance, over her shoulder, wishing he’d heeded his mother’s advice and picked a suitable girl to court.

“No, Colin, ye dinna see.” Cait set a hand on his shoulder. “Kellen and Mother are conspiring. Morgan was forced to stay away from you by Mother’s orders.”

Colin glared at his sister. “Mother and Kellen wouldn’t work together on anything.”

“But they were.” Morgan set a hand on his arm, her touch burning him like a brand. “Kellen was my lawyer. He sold my home to your mother.”

“Impossible.” Colin sliced his hand through the air, unwilling to accept her words as truth.

“Ah, but it isn’t, Prince Colin.”

Loathing surged through Colin at the sound of Kellen’s voice. Colin turned and faced the Unseelie King. “How is it that ye be here? This kingdom is off limits to ye.”

“Aye, it is. Except your dear mother promised to announce a suitable bride for me tonight.”  Kellen’s gaze drifted over Cait, and Colin clenched his hands into fists, longing to pound them into the Unseelie King.

“She is not your chosen bride,” Colin forced through clenched teeth.

Kellen smiled, his eyes glinting with wicked promises. “That remains to be seen. Morgana!” The word whipped through the room, halting all music, dancing, and sound. “I am here for the announcement.”

Colin turned to the front of the room, his knees trembling as the Seelie Queen’s face paled.

“Ye be early, Kellen.” Queen Morgana rose, her voice strong and steady as she walked to the back of the room. “Your chosen one has not arrived as of yet.”

“Ah, my dearest Morgana, I see ye still toy with me.” His face transformed from pleasant to enraged in the blink of an eye. “I insist ye desist, else I display my wrath for all your people to see and suffer.”

“Ye shall not be having my daughter.”

“Then our peace has come to an end.” Kellen turned, his fingers glowing a sickly green.

“Wait!” Cait cried. “I will not allow ye to harm my people.”

Kellen stopped and turned to Cait, his face a blank mask. “Will ye give yourself to me as my bride?”

Cait lifted her chin. “Will that keep the peace between our kingdoms?”

“Aye,” Kellen nodded, “it will.”

“Then I see I have no choice.”

“Caitlin, no,” Morgana said. “Ye cannot do this.”

“’Tis the only way, Mother.” She looked at Kellen. “He will not harm me, not if he wishes the peace to continue.”

“I swear ye will come to no harm from me or my people.”

“I will not allow ye to sacrifice yourself.” Morgana stepped between Cait and Kellen. “I will consent to being your wife.”

“No offense, Morgana, but I just do not have those kind of feelings for you.” Kellen pulled a dagger from the belt at his waist and sliced the sharp blade over his palm. “But I do for your daughter, and to prove it, I will swear a blood oath.”

He turned the hilt to Cait. She gripped the bejeweled hilt, sliced her palm, then gripped Kellen’s bleeding hand.

“By this blood oath, I swear that Princess Caitlin will come to no harm from me or my people. Should my oath be proved false, I shall suffer a fate worse than death.”

Kellen lifted their joined hands to his lips and pressed a kiss against Cait’s fingers. After a moment, he released her hand. All traces of blood and cuts were gone.

Colin stared at his sister, stunned by her sacrifice. “Cait, you cannot do this. I willna allow it.”

She smiled, tears glinting in her eyes. “Forgive me, Colin, but there be not choice.” Cait turned to Kellen. “I have one request before I accept your proposal.”

“Of course, anything for my future bride,” Kellen smiled, the look more predatory than amusing.

“I wish Morgan to play us a tune.”