Chapter Nine

Colin had just stepped into No Man’s Land when Liam stepped out from behind a tree.

“’Tis about time ye returned to yer people.”

“Aye, as I was greatly missed in the decoratin’ of  the hall.”

“Ye were.” Liam grinned. “Poor Cait could not find a lad tall enough to hang the rest o’ the garland she wove.”

“More’n likely my dear Cait only looked for aid amongst the wee ones in order to badger me into helping again on the morrow.”

“Ye know yer sister too well, Colin.”

“I know both of ye well. What be troublin’ ye so much that ye be sneaking after me? Worried the Unseelie King might catch me unawares in the woods?”

“Och, I know that would ne’er happen. Unless you be cursed.”

“Cursed, is it? And what or who do you think be doin’ the cursin’?”

“Mayhap that girl piper be cursin’ you.”

 “That piper girl has not done anything.” Colin glared at Liam. “She just be lonely and in need of a friend.”

“Aye,” Liam agreed, keeping pace with the prince. “A human friend. Not you.”

“I do not understand why ye dislike Morgan so. Do ye have your sights on her for yourself?”

“Are you daft?” Liam stopped and yelled at Colin’s back. “Why would I want her?”

Colin turned around, his hands clenched at his sides. “Why would ye not? She be the most lovely creature.”

“Beauty is not all.”

“Aye.” Colin nodded. “’Tis true. And she be more than beautiful. Her heart be kind and generous. And greatly wounded.” Colin took a deep breath and let it out in a rush. “Finn’s gone.”

“’Tis what the girl said when we spoke.”  Liam rubbed his heart, as if to ease an ache at the thought of loss. “Did she tell you how he died?”

“Just that he was in an accident.”

“Seems so wrong. He should’ve stayed here, with us. Then he’d still be alive.”

“Aye.” Colin’s voice was barely a whisper. “But then Morgan wouldn’t be here.”

“Ye need to forget about her.”

“Why?”

Liam sighed. “Hear me out afore ye say anthin’, ye promise?”

“Aye, I promise.” Colin hunched his shoulder’s certain he wouldn’t like what his friend was about to say.

“I fear she might be the piper who killed Fagan.”

“And I be the son of Kellen.” He sliced his hand through the air. “Enough. She had naught to do with the deaths.”

“But she were playing Finn’s pipe. And she be half Fae. There’s no telling what kind o’ magic that would release.”

“She means no harm.”

“Mayhap that be true, but meanin’ no harm is not the same as bein’ innocent. Please Colin, for the love of the Lady, stay away from her. Just for a few days.”

Colin shook his head. “I cannot.”

“See, ’tis as I thought. You be under her spell.”

“’Tis no spell. I cannot stay away as she’s leaving soon, and I do not wish to miss out on my time with her.”

“But why her? What be so special about her that ye daydream about her when she’s not near? You’ve ne’er been like that with any other Fae, Colin. ’Tis the work of the Unseelie King. He must’ve cursed her pipe to lure ye to yer death. Then, he could worm ’is way into yer mum’s life by consoling her on her loss.”

“Aye, that would be a dastardly plan worthy of Kellen. Save for the fact my mum would ne’er let him past the castle gate.” Colin clapped Liam on the back. “I appreciate your concern o’er my welfare, Liam, but I be under no threat from Morgan. I swear it to ye. The only threat she poses is to me heart, as I fear I be fallin’ in love with her.”