Chapter Ten

Morgan scrolled through the search results on the screen and sighed. She never realized there was so much information about fairies on the internet. Not only that, but sifting between lore and fiction was draining. She glanced behind her at the bookshelf and grinned. Guess the number of fantasy books there should have been a clue to her how popular stories about the Fae were.

She rolled her shoulders, and tipped her head from side to side to relieve the built up tension. Hours had passed since she first sat down to search on the Love Talker. She looked down at the notes she’d jotted as she read post after post.

Seducer of human women

Enchants with his voice

Bad luck to meet

None of these phrases described her father, yet Liam had insisted Finn had been a Love Talker. She shoved a hand into her hair, wincing as roots tugged free from her scalp. She typed “fae” into the search bar and hit enter. More sites popped up on the screen and she scanned them, looking for something that would stand out. Just as she was about to click on a link, the doorbell rang.

Groaning, she pushed away from the computer and headed to the front door. Merlin wound his way between her feet, almost tripping her more than once. The bell pealed again as she reached the door. Cautiously, she looked through the peephole, her brow drawing low at the sight of the man on the stoop.

She recognized her father’s attorney instantly. Tall and thin, with shoulder length black hair, he was extremely handsome for a man in his early thirties. Too old for her tastes, but, as her mother always said, there was no harm in looking.

 “Mr. Kingsman,” she opened the door and ushered him inside. “What are you doing here?”

“Good evening, my dear,” Mr. Kingsman bowed then straightened, the formal gesture reminding her of Colin. “I wanted to stop by and see how you are getting on.”

Morgan wrapped her arms around her waist, more out of reflex to the question than to keep her emotions in check. “Better. Some days are more difficult to get through, but I’m making it.”

“Excellent.” His eyes twinkled like sapphires in sunlight.

“Please, have a seat.” She led him into the formal living room her parents had always used for guests. “Can I get you something to drink?”

“No thank you, my dear.” He perched on the edge of the loveseat and took a moment to study her. “You look like you’ve been spending some time outdoors.”

“I have.” Morgan sat in a high-backed chair. Merlin pounced on her lap, circling around three times before laying down.

“Have you taken up gardening or something?”

Morgan frowned, puzzled at his interest in her. She knew he’d been her father’s attorney, but his questions felt more like a fishing expedition than a family friend checking on her welfare. “No, although Da always said I had the greenest thumb he’d ever seen.” She forced a smile at the thought. “I’ve been walking in the woods and visiting with friends.”

“Oh?” His head tilted up, and he inched closer to the edge of the seat. “And have you enjoyed your visits with these friends?”

A smile spread across Morgan’s face at the thought of Colin. “Yes. They’ve been almost…magical.”

He quirked a brow and cocked his head to the side. “Magical? That sounds like it would make an intriguing tale.”

The hairs on the back of her neck rose in response to something in his tone of voice. Something she couldn’t quite grasp that seemed off about him and his questions. She shrugged, hoping to rid herself of the feeling. Merlin jumped from her lap and stalked from the room, but not before casting a glare at Mr. Kingsman.

Morgan shook her head, used to Merlin’s antics, before replying. “Not as intriguing as you might think.”

“Well, I am pleased to hear you are having some fun.” He glanced around the room before focusing on her again. “So, have you had an opportunity to use the flute your father left you?”

Unease trickled down her spine at the question. “Um, yes. I have.”

“Wonderful.” Although his lips curved in a smile, the look seemed more predatory than amused. “I would love to hear you play something. I’m sure you’re quite accomplished, given the talent your father had.”

Morgan stared at the floor, hoping Mr. Kingsman thought her embarrassed by his compliment. She couldn’t play the flute. She’d promised Liam she wouldn’t touch it if it meant keeping Colin safe.

“Well, I would, but…” she looked up, catching sight of the large clock on the wall, and stood. “…I have an appointment I need to get ready for.”

Mr. Kingsman frowned. “I’m sorry to miss out on such a treat.” He stood and brushed the creases from his pants. “Perhaps another time, then?”

 “Sure. Another time.” She walked him to the door. “Thanks for checking in on me.”

“Of course. It was my pleasure.” He bowed over her hand again. “Until next time.”

Morgan watched until he got into his car and drove off, yet she couldn’t shake the unease his visit had brought. What had he really wanted? Clearly it was more than just to check on her. He could have called for that. She locked the door and walked back to the computer, but she didn’t feel like doing any more research now. Instead, she headed out the back door and into the woods, hoping Colin might decide to drop by for a visit.

Dappled light danced around her as she walked into the trees. Birds chirped as they flew from branch to branch. Morgan inhaled the warm summer air and froze as all her internal warning systems blared to life. She spun, searching the deepest shadows. Every inch of her body screamed that someone hid there, watching, but no matter how hard she looked, she couldn’t find them.