Chapter Fourteen

Morgan reached a hand inside the hole in the message tree and patted around, hoping Colin had left a note for her. Nothing. Lifting to her toes she peered into the darkness, praying she might catch a glimpse of something her fingers had missed. Still nothing.

With a sigh, she cast a glance at the woods. “Where are you, Colin?”

Her quiet words were carried away by breeze before they reached the first tree. Not that it mattered. She knew he wasn’t there to answer her.

Sighing, she pulled out a piece of paper and pen from her pocket and penned him a quick note.

Sorry I missed you today, but I have an appointment with someone to look at the house. Hope to see you tomorrow.

XO,

Morgan.

She folded it into a small square and dropped it inside the tree, wondering if he’d understand what ‘XO’ meant. Her lips curved as she imagined explaining it to him with a demonstration. At least it was something to look forward to, unlike the prospective buyer. Not one person who’d looked at the house had put a bid in. If someone didn’t bid soon, she’d be forced to leave things in the hands of her solicitor, and she didn’t want to do that.

Not that she didn’t trust Mr. Kingsman to sell the house, but there was just something about him that set her on edge. And if she’d learned anything from her father, it was to trust her instincts, especially when it came to people.

Morgan gave one last look at the trees before turning and heading home. Merlin greeted her at the kitchen door, winding his way through her legs. She crouched down and picked him up, rubbing her face in his soft fur as she walked through the dining room to the living room.

“He wasn’t there, Merlin. What do you think that means?”

Merlin purred.

“I know. I shouldn’t read anything into it. He is a prince, after all. And I’m sure he has responsibilities he has to see to before he visits with me, but I’d hoped he would have left me a message in the tree. It’s why I told him about it.”

Merlin licked Morgan’s face and yowled.

 Morgan chuckled. “Okay, I get it. I’m worried over nothing.” A knock sounded from the kitchen door, and Morgan’s heart thumped. Maybe Colin had come to the house to see her. She set Merlin on the floor and hurried to the door, opening it without looking to see who was there.

“Col―”

His name died on her lips as she stared at the stranger standing on her doorstep. Hair, a dark chestnut, fell in perfect waves to the woman’s narrow waist. She was tall, almost as tall as Colin, and her eyes were a deep blue. An heir of royalty exuded from her, one that left Morgan in no doubt of who stood before her. Colin’s mother.

Morgan dropped into a curtsey. “My Lady.”

“Rise child.”

The queen spoke the command with power, and Morgan quickly stood.

“Please, come in.” Morgan stepped aside and the queen swept past, her gown swishing. “Would you like to sit in the living room? It’s more comfortable there.”

“Nay. I’ve no time for chit-chat. Stay away from me son.”

“Excuse me?” Morgan frowned. “I believe you’re mistaken about how things have been. Colin has been coming to see me, not the other way around.”