Chapter Six

Morgan played her pipe, all the while her mind swirled with thoughts of Colin. How could she have been so stupid as to cry all over him? Not that he seemed to mind, but still, what a major turn off she must have been.

Yet, he’d been perfect. He’d held her just right, said just the right thing.

She missed a note, her fingers hurrying to catch up as her thoughts stuttered to a halt. He’d spoken to her in her father’s native tongue. Flawlessly. As if he’d grown up speaking the same language. But that was impossible. Her father told her he came from a land far away.

Her heart pounded against her ribs. Who was Colin? Who was her father? She finished her song and stood, deciding now was the perfect time to start some research about her family.

A branch cracked in the woods. Morgan turned and stared into the trees, hoping it might be Colin returning. She was anxious to ask him about the language he’d used so at least she had a starting point for her research.

A shadow moved in the trees, and she frowned. It wasn’t tall enough to be Colin. Great. Another lost Faire goer.

A few seconds later, a young man stepped forward. Like Colin, he wore brown leathers and a green shirt. Dark blond hair was pulled back at his neck by a leather thong, accenting the sharp, pointed feature of his face. All he needed to look like an elf was pointy ears. His green eyes, flecked with brown, made her think of flawed emeralds. He was quite handsome, but something about the way he looked at her, the way he held himself so taut, made Morgan nervous.

 “Who are you and what do you want?” Her voice shook, and she silently cursed. Now was not the time to show her fear.

“I mean ye no harm.” He held his hands up, just like Colin had earlier. Unlike with Colin, Morgan didn’t get the same ‘I’m-not-a-threat’ vibe. “I was jus’ listenin’ t’ ye play yer pipe.”

“You’re trespassing on private property. Leave now before I called the cops.”

He tipped his head to the side and frowned. “I know not what these cops be, but ye needn’t be a callin’ them. I only want a moment of yer time. If’n I may?”

Morgan took a step back, getting ready to run if she needed to. “Why?”

“To talk to ye. Like ye done with me friend Colin.”

 She paused, mid-step, surprised at this news. “You know Colin?”

“Aye. Known ’im since he were knee high to a grasshopper.” The young man flashed a smile. “Och, forgive me me manners. I be Liam.” He bowed at the waist. Yet another difference between him and Colin. “I be Colin’s personal guard.”

Morgan chuckled. “Really?” He nodded. “Seeing I’ve seen him twice, and am just now seeing you, I’d guess you aren’t too good at your job.”

His face burned a bright red. “I’ll have ye know I’m quite good at me job. It’s jest that Colin, well, he be a bit slippery these last few days, on account of the mysterious piper we be hunting down.”

“Mysterious piper?” Morgan looked at her father’s pipe. “Do you mean me?”

Liam sighed. “Nay. It canno’ be ye. Colin said so himself, and after hearing ye play today I have to agree. ’Tis no way ye can be the piper that be luring the Fae to death.”

Morgan’s blood turned to ice. “What did you say?”

The look he gave her made Morgan feel dumber than a rock. “I said ye be not the piper.”

“No, not that. What did you say about the Fae?”

Liam’s entire body stiffened, and his Adam’s apple bobbed up and down as he swallowed. “Um, I, um…” He scratched his head. “I didn’t say nothin’ about the Fae. Ye musta misheard me.”