Chapter 6

AD was seated in Theatre 3 of Curtains Up. He reached there 15 minutes earlier and to his surprise there was more people than Sarah expected even when she didn't promote it in her social media. The hall was almost full and people kept coming in.

The play started and he saw Sarah on stage. The crowd cheered her name. She was looking at everyone while she spoke one line of her dialogues and caught AD's eyes. Her smile grew upon seeing AD there. He held his arms up and showed two thumbs up to her. She continued with her act.

Sarah was so graceful while she performed. She carried herself very well. He has been seeing her perform since they were kids. She always dragged him to sit within the audience every time she performed in school as if sitting and watching her rehearsals wasn't enough.

He even had to skip his cricket practices to company her after school which she would later compensate by sitting with him throughout the boring criminal case documentaries.

Sarah was so similar yet so different that night. The excitement to be on stage and perform for people was still the same. Her antics and expressions was the same; but, she isn't a kid anymore. For the first time he noticed the beautifully grown woman that she is. For the first time he noticed her figure and curves while she moved in that lovely Renaissance dress.

The stage was filled with set props and few other co artists but AD could only see Sarah. The hall is filled with people and their voices but he could only hear hers. Everything around him seemed blur as if it is just them there at that moment. He couldn't stand the distance. Especially after holding her close to him in the morning. He can't wait for the play to end and hold her into his arms again.

The first scene with Sarah ended and the troupe was swiftly working for the next scene. AD was lost in his thoughts. He cursed himself for staying away from her for the past 9 years. He wish he could go back in time and change few things like taking up a different occupation which wouldn't have required them to be apart. After all she grew out of her childhood likings and she is not very fond of cops now. He realised that 9 days of being together with her is bringing out the sub-concious emotions of 9 years buried in him.

He suddenly felt some un-easiness. He could feel something is wrong. He began to sweat. As if it was a cue, the audience was discussing something to each other when he turned to his left and right. The voice of the crowd were much louder. He turned to the stage. The troupe stopped the play and discussing something within each other. Then the red curtain was dropped indicating the end of the play.

The audience was clueless of what's happening and was growing furious. The producer came forward and announced that they had to end the play abruptly since there was a technical error on their side. He promised to return the money of their tickets. AD wasnt convinced. His mind kept telling him something has happened to Sarah.

He received a message from an unknown number just when he took out his phone to call Sarah. He ignored the message and called her. It rang few times then answered.

"Hey, Sarah.. are you okay? Unaku onum aagalaye--"

"Sir, nan Sarah illa, ava friendu."

"Sarah enga?"

"Avala kaanom, theditu irukom"

"What?!"

"Sir, na ipa pesa mudiyathu, sorry I'll call you back!"

"Hello, hello, wait, hello, Cha!!"

He ran to the backstage and flashed his ID card when a guard tried to stop him. The guard let him in and informed to the theatre manager through walkie talkie that a policeman is there. The troupe were in panic. They already couldn't find Sarah anywhere, and now they dont understand how there's a policeman here without them contacting for help.