Departure and Arrival

Y/n's POV

I'm standing at the gates of the Leaf Village, surrounded by my entourage of Sand Ninja, who were sent by the Kazekage's council to escort me to the Village Hidden in the Sand. Naruto, Sakura and my parents are standing in front of me. I hug my parents goodbye, even though I'm still upset with them for making me do this. Then I turn to my friends.

"Since I might not ever be coming back here again, there's something that I need to tell you guys," I tell them. Sakura cocks her head in confusion, and Naruto's brow furrows. I take a deep breath, bracing myself for whatever is going to happen next. "I secretly dated Sasuke."

The words come out in a rushed jumble, and for a second, I think that they didn't hear me, and maybe I can just pretend like nothing happened. Then Sakura's face turns red, and Naruto stares at me like I just betrayed him. Which I kind of did.

Shit.

"When was this?" Sakura asks. She looks like she's struggling not to scream at me. Her fists are clenched tightly at her sides, and I brace myself for a punch.

"After Tsunadae became Hokage," I answer. "A few weeks after I went on that mission with him and Naruto as my bodyguards."

"I'm assuming it ended after he left the village?" Sakura asks. The anger fades from her jade-green eyes, giving way to sadness, like it often does when Sasuke's departure comes up.

"Yes," I say.

"Did you try to stop him?" Sakura asks.

"Of course," I reply. "Of course I did. But he put up walls. There was no reaching him."

Sakura nods in understanding. Sasuke had hurt her too. At least when I tried to talk some sense into him, I didn't end up unconscious on a random bench.

"Why didn't you tell me?" Naruto asks, speaking for the first time in a while.

"I thought that you'd be angry, since you always disliked Sasuke so much," I say. "And I didn't want you to tell Sakura, since it would have crushed her."

"I wouldn't have been angry."

"Are you sure about that?" I say. "I know you almost as well as I know myself. You would have been angry."

Naruto just frowned.

"Honestly, I'm glad you didn't say anything," Sakura says. "If I'd known back then, I probably would have killed you. Then I would have regretted it, because I don't know what I would have done these past few years without your friendship."

I stare at her, surprised at the kind-ish words. "Thanks, Sakura." I turn to Naruto. "Are you upset with me?"

"Of course I'm a little upset," Naruto replies. "But it was a long time ago, and I kind of understand why you did it."

I let out a relieved breath. "That's go-"

"But I do have one question," Naruto says. "What did you find attractive about him? I don't understand at all how you could be romantically attracted to a guy like Sasuke."

Sakura shot him a look. "That's rude, Naruto."

"No, it's fine," I say, waving her off. I turn to Naruto. "I think that what I found particularly attractive about Sasuke is what drew you to him - his determination, his immense talent, his loyalty and fierce love, his confidence, but also his rare moments of vulnerability."

Naruto's blue eyes fill with sadness, as if remembering something distant and fond. He nods slowly.

"Also his brooding good looks," Sakura adds.