Party

Y/n's POV

Rei's tried to get me up multiple times, but not once has she succeeded. Technically, I'm awake now, but not out of bed and getting dressed like she'd like me to be.

I roll over so I can look out my window, at the building of the Sand Village cast against the vast, bright blue desert sky. Most of the feelings from that one awful evening are forgotten, and I'm getting back into a groove again, especially since Dezato's wife has been helping Temari and I with the wedding preparations. We are no longer lost, and we're finally making progress, for better or for worse.

Probably worse. I'm starting to plan out how I'm going to sabotage the wedding so I can delay it a little bit longer. It'll be harder to sabotage it when my parents show up, but that's still a while away, thankfully.

I finally manage to make myself roll out of bed. On the desk in my room, Rei has laid out a simple breakfast and my schedule for the day. As I nibble on fresh fruit I read it over. There's the usual wedding planning and How to be the Kazekage's Wife lessons, but today, the whole afternoon has been blocked off for a dress fitting, and this evening is the big party at a feudal lord's house, which is the first time Gaara and I are going to be appearing together in public as a couple.

Crap. I totally forgot about that.

As I put on the outfit that Rei set out for me, I wonder how I'm going to manage to smile and wave at the party tonight, and pretend that I'm not still mad at Gaara for yelling at me. I'm guessing he isn't looking forward to spending the whole night with me, either, considering that he's cancelled our meetings and completely ignored me for the past two weeks. I mean, I'm glad that I don't have to see him, but being treated as invisible isn't good for a girl's ego. Just saying.

My morning responsibilities go by too fast, and before I know it, I'm being whisked away to my dress fitting. It's not my first time. I've worn my fair share of fancy gowns in my day. Even so, I still haven't gotten used to the whole tailoring process. It's ridiculously painful, having to stand in one place for hours on end, being poked and prodded by seamstresses who tell you to lift your arm or move a little to the right every few minutes. The worst part is the refreshments. They bring tea and cookies and all that good stuff, but they leave it on a table just out of your reach, so you have to stare at it until they tell you that they're taking a break or something.

This time, thankfully, there is not refreshments table, taunting me. But the fitting is still painful and ridiculously long and boring, and I never want to see a pin again.

I have no idea how they manage to alter the dress so quickly, but it's ready for me to wear just in time for the event. It's a long, beautiful silk kimono, the color of flames. Wavy lines are embroidered on it in gold thread, and I think they're supposed to represent the dunes or something. Rei wrestles my hair into an elegant updo and coats my face in assorted paints and powders. It's been so long since I've had to dress up like this that I barely recognize myself.

"The Kazekage won't be able to help falling in love with you once he sees you tonight," Rei says, looking at me in the mirror.

I glower at her. "Let's hope that's not the case."

"You two are going to be married," Rei says. "Why don't you want him to be attracted to you?"

"Because if he likes me then I'll be obligated to like him, and I'm determined for that to never happen," I say, walking over to the door.

"Good luck tonight," Rei calls.

I wave her off.

When I open the door to my room, my guards are waiting for me, like always. They surround me as I head towards the exit of the mansion. I know the hallways well now. I rarely ever get lost any more.