Stars

Y/n's POV

When I finish my story, Sakura and Naruto are quiet for a long time.

"That jerk," Sakura says finally. "He could at least acknowledge you."

"It's not that he doesn't acknowledge me, I just don't feel like he cares, at all," I reply. "I mean, he protected me during the attack, but any time before that he just like...looked right past me. We're in this together, so you'd think he'd at least try to be friendly."

"Maybe he really hasn't changed," Sakura says, clenching her fists in her lap.

"No, he's definitely changed," I say. "Thankfully, he's not a short little emo serial killer anymore."

"But still, I don't like that he's treating you like this," Sakura says.

"Me neither," Naruto agrees. "But Y/n. You can't just stand by and let them treat you like this. You need to assert yourself."

"But if I assert myself, they'll probably just hate me even more," I reply. "I have no idea what the heck is going on here. I just want to go home."

"What if you come back with us?" Sakura suggests. "We could smuggle you in a chest or something."

"No," Naruto says, surprising both Sakura and I. "Y/n, you can't run away from this. You have to stay strong and push through, and make sure they know that how they're treating you is upsetting you. This is your mission, and a shinobi always completes their mission no matter what."

"Technically, I'm not a shinobi," I correct him. "And this isn't a mission. This is the head of the family and my parents forcing me to do something that I don't want to do."

"Sometimes ninjas have to do things they don't like," Naruto says.

"Why can't you just agree with me all the time?"

"Because a friend's job isn't to just agree with you all the time," Naruto says. "What if you think of it this way - you're helping your family. Don't you want to help your clan?"

"Of course I do."

"Alright, so then don't give up on this. Go through with your mission, try to do whatever you can to make it bearable, and help your clan. I think you're fully capable of doing that."

Sakura nods in agreement. "So do I. We believe in you, Y/n."

I frown, looking down at my lap. "None of this is going to matter anyway if Gaara doesn't come back alive."

"You don't need to worry about that."

I look up and see Naruto grinning, blue eyes glowing with determination.

"We're going to bring him back, alive," Naruto says. "I promise you that."

I can't help but smile. "I believe it."

"You guys done chit chatting?" Kakashi-sensei asks, peeking into the room where we're sitting. "The briefing is about to start."

"We'll be right there," Sakura tells him.

Kakashi nods and walks away.

"See you later?" I ask Naruto.

"Of course."

---

Naruto and Sakura's time in the Sand Village was far too short. Before I knew it, it's time for them to leave to go and find Gaara. Lady Chiyo's going with them, which means no lessons or wedding planning for a while.