Caroline

The next morning Damon and I are woken up by a loud bang. "Wake up, you sleepyheads! Amilia, I'll give you ten minutes, then I'll see you in the kitchen. Coffee has already been made," says Caroline, who deliberately pushed Damon's door open roughly to wake us up. She turns around and walks out of the room, leaving the door wide open. While Damon groans annoyed next to me and buries his face in his pillow, I look at the clock and see that it is shortly after three o'clock in the afternoon. God we slept all day. Although sleep is not a must for us, it is simply something beautiful. Mainly because alcohol does have an effect on us. I throw back the covers and am about to get up when Damon tries to pull my wrist back. "Come back to bed. Caroline can wait," says Damon with a sly grin. In the past, I would have accepted this invitation immediately. But I still feel guilty when I think about the sex we had last night - the feeling that I cheated on Steve just doesn't go away. I wrest my wrist from him and playfully push him away from me. "You know Caroline. If I don't get into the kitchen right away, she'll come here every minute." I quickly run into the room that was mine for years and which I always use when I'm here, and get a fresh top out of my pocket. The white sweater, together with the pants from last night, make up my outfit for today. Then I go to Caroline's kitchen. "Slept well?" Caroline asks me as she holds out a cup of coffee. "Like a drunk baby," I say before I take a long drink. When I don't say anything else, she just stares at me, waiting. I stare back and raise my eyebrows questioningly. "Do you want to tell me what's going on? Why you just turn up here without notice? Don't get me wrong, I like to have you here. But you've never just come by without letting us know beforehand," she says, sounding genuinely worried . "To be completely honest - I don't want to talk about it right now. I just had to get away from all the Avengers stuff." She reaches for my hand and squeezes it. "Ok. But you know, if you ever want to talk about it, I'll be there for you." I smile at her and we change the subject. She tells me what I've been missing in the last few months. The werewolves and witches are spreading again here in Mystic Falls and that Stefan is always trying to bring all species together peacefully. Sometime in the evening, Caroline and I decide to cook something together. More precisely - I cook, Caroline watches me and drinks wine. It doesn't take long until we both sit at the table with our pasta carbonara. "God, I almost forgot how good you cook," notes Caroline with a deliberately exaggerated groan. "In fact, I almost forgot how much fun cooking is. I haven't really had the chance lately." "Well, bad luck for the Avengers if they have never enjoyed it before," says Caroline, which immediately gives me a pang. I never even thought about cooking for the others. I was way too busy being a bitch and keeping them away from me as much as possible. What are Bucky, Steve and the others eating right now? "Sorry, I didn't mean to talk about them," she looks at me apologetically. "It's okay. I can't pretend they don't exist." When we have finished we bring the dishes into the kitchen and tidy up. Just as we have cleared away the last plates, the door opens and Stefan and Damon come in.