Twenty-Two

Ruby woke in bed next to Simon. She saw him fast asleep and shook him awake. "You have to go. My mum will be in soon," she said.

Simon groaned and nodded. He climbed out of bed and looked at her. "Last night was amazing. Just us lying together with our baby there," he told her.

Ruby smiled as she looked at him. "I genuinely think you need to go before my mum comes in."

"Okay okay. I'm going."

***
Ruby was sitting down in the living room. Esmè walked in and looked at her. "So do you wanna tell me who the guy was you snuck out?" She asked.

Ruby paled. She looked at her sister. "What do you mean?"

"I mean if you're going to sneak a boy out, at least make sure Darcie isn't lurking around. She's my little spy," Esmè said.

"Don't tell mum. Please," Ruby said.

"I won't. I wanna know if he's baby daddy?"

Ruby shook her head. "He is. Please don't tell mum. She'll want me to get him here and interrogate him," she said.

Esmè smirked and nodded. "Okay. Fine. I won't say anything. For now," she teased.

Ruby groaned. "I hate having a sister."

"No you don't. You love me. And you love my little spy too," Esmè said as she sat down next to her sister.

Ruby rolled her eyes and smiled. "I do love you. you're pretty awesome," she told her.

***
Ruby had gone into school for the first time since the accident. When she got there, she saw Simon staying with Max Tyler.

Ruby walked over to them. "Hi Sir and Sir."

Simon smiled and looked at her. He walked off leaving her alone with Max. Max smiled. "How are you doing?" He asked.

Ruby nodded. "I'm doing good thank you. My sister sends her love," she joked.

Max laughed. He sighed. "I won't hurt her you know. I want to look after her and Darcie," he said.

"I know. I'll kill you if you hurt her."

***
Simon pulled Ruby into an empty classroom. He smiled. "I loved waking up with you."

Ruby nodded and grinned. "Me too. It felt good. But my niece saw you and told Esmè."

Simon paled. "What did you say?"

"I told her that you were my baby daddy. But no who you were. She isn't going to tell my mum either."

Simon nodded and looked at her. "That was too risky. I shouldn't have done it," he said.

Ruby rolled her eyes. "Esmè won't say anything. She was like me once. A teenager sneaking boys in."

"It's too risky. It can't happen again."

Ruby turned and walked off. She was sick of Simon going hot and cold with her.

***
Ruby went home that evening and sighed. She looked at Esmè. "Why are men so complicated?" She asked as she looked at her.

Esmè smiled. "I don't know babes. But it'll be okay. What's happened?"

"The guy I've been seeing. He keeps going hot and cold on me. And I'm sick of it. One moment, he wants to be with me. The next he's telling me that we're too risky," she said.

Esmè smiled. She looked at her. "Trust me. Men are always complicated. But I guess that one day there'll be a cure for it," she told her.

Ruby nodded and sighed. But she had no idea how her secret fling was going to be blown apart. And it was all going to go downhill.