Chapter 48

We stayed at Leon Karnak for a while, enjoying the peace that we knew would be shattered once our engagement was announced. But after a while, I heard Avani’s stomach rumble and realized that I was getting hungry, too. So, reluctantly, we headed back on foot, rather than the much speedier Escape spell, in order to grasp a few last moments of tranquility.

Along the way, we decided that the first person we ought to tell of our engagement—for pity’s sake, if nothing else—was Dylas. Avani insisted that she couldn’t just leave him to learn of it through the grapevine, and I agreed  wholeheartedly. Then we decided that next we should tell Arthur, as the Prince representing the Crown in Selphia, and Volkanon, as Venti’s Head Butler and the steward of her estate. After that, Avani said she wanted to tell Amber and Dolce. Although not her closest friends, she felt a special bond with all four Guardians that transcended mere friendship. Then, she said, we could tell everyone else as the occasion arose.

When we arrived, I went straight to Avani’s quarters to wait while she went in search of Dylas. Apparently she had no trouble finding him, as she returned with him after perhaps a quarter of an hour. She offered him a drink, which he declined, and we all sat before her fireplace—he in a chair, and Avani and I on the sofa. I cleared my throat to speak, but Avani quickly turned towards me and laid a hand on my arm—which I took to mean that she wanted to be the one to tell him.

“Dylas,” she said as she turned back to her former lover, “I-I’m not quite sure how to say this, but….”

“But you’re getting married. Right?” he said, flatly, as he looked from one to the other of us.

I started in surprise, and Avani stammered, “W-well, yes, b-but how did you…?”

Dylas frowned at her. “Give me a little credit at least. I may not be the most sociable person in town, but I’m not made of wood. And I know you, Avani—I know you so well, like the back of my own hand. When you showed up, it was pretty clear to me that you were both happy and nervous, and when I saw Leon sitting here, looking so damn happy, I… just knew.” He looked away from her. “I guess this is where I should say congratulations, huh? I… I won’t be petty and childish, so don’t worry. We had a pretty good thing for a while, though, didn’t we, Avani? And I… I still love you. So I hope he makes you happy.” Then he looked me straight in the eyes, without a trace of humor or jest, and said, “You’d better make her happy.” Then he rose, and after a pause, he held out a hand to me. “Congratulations, man.” Then he held out his hand to Avani, but she jumped up and hugged him. He stood there at a loss for words for a moment, then tentatively returned her hug with a brief embrace. “Thank you, Avani, for the time we had together,” I heard him whisper to her before he pulled away and quickly left through the front door.

Turning to me with tears in her eyes, she said, “I… I think before we go see anyone else… I could use that drink.” I smiled sympathetically and went to pour two glasses of wine—I felt I could do with one myself. As we were both fairly famished by then, I also put together some sandwiches from what I could find in her refrigerator.

We talked about wedding plans while we ate and drank, and it quickly became clear that we would likely have an… interesting ceremony. I was unfamiliar with the customs of the current era, and Avani had forgotten all that she might ever have known of them. All either of us knew was based on tidbits of gossip, such as Nancy reminiscing about her marriage to Dr. Jones. However, we did agree on a few basics—neither of us cared much for pomp and circumstance, so we wanted to keep it as simple as possible. Avani loved the idea of a big party for the whole town—feasting and merrymaking for a night and a day, or something like that—and I wasn’t averse to the idea. However, I pointed out that if we did something along those lines, it would be difficult to keep all the tourists that her efforts had attracted to Selphia away, at least, without seeming churlish or snobbish. So I suggested that we hold it outdoors, in which case we should be married as soon as possible, before the chilly fall rains began.