Chapter 68

I cradled Avani against me, elated by the sound of her heart beating and her breathing and her warmth and the color returning to her face. She clung to me, exhausted and depleted by her ordeal, as glad to rest in my arms as I was to have her there. After a few moments, though, she sat upright with a frantic look in her eyes, exclaiming, "The babies!" She placed her hands against her belly, and then a moment later slumped back against me in relief, evidently feeling some movement from within. I stroked her hair and told her what the foxes had told me, including their final message to her. Her eyes glittered for a moment, hard and cold, then she looked up at me and her gaze softened again.

Meanwhile, the shadows were beginning to lengthen, and it appeared to be late afternoon or early evening. Sharmila glanced up at the sky, then at Avani before she looked at me. "I think we'd best get her to the village. Although Avani has two houses there, I would feel better under the circumstances if you would stay with us instead. Our house has plenty of room for everyone," she said, turning to glance at Dylas to include him in her invitation.

"I'm afraid, too, that we will need to call a meeting of the tribe," Rishi added. "It can wait until tomorrow, but upon our return, I must inform Kokila of her son's... demise. And I'm afraid she will want to speak with you, my love—she will not be pleased by this news. I will try to put her off for now, to let you rest...."

Avani shook her head. "No, Rishi. I'll see her. I will tell her of his death myself."

I looked up at Sharmila and Rishi, and after a moment, Rishi nodded. "All right, my sister. You may do this thing. But please take Leon with you—I can feel how vulnerable you are at present."

"I'm coming, too," Dylas called as he and Chanda headed towards us. "You know... just in case you need me."

I started to protest, then thought better of it. I'd seen what the son could do—I couldn't begin to guess what the mother might be like. I nodded my head, then I stood and lifted Avani up in my arms. "Then as soon as you're ready," I said, looking at Sharmila.

Chanda closed the gap and joined us, but Dylas stopped and said, "Hang on. There's something I want to do first." He strode over to the lone tree where Bhima's great sword stuck fast, embedded in the large limb. Gripping the hilt in his hands, he gave a loud yell as he pulled with all his might. The sword came free, and he staggered to regain his footing. Then he approached the blighted ground where Bhima had disintegrated not so long ago, and stood glaring down at it, his jaw clenched. Then he raised the sword high above his head and with another shout, he drove the blade down through the center of the black stain and into the rock below. He spat on the cloven earth and muttered, "Too bad you can only die once. A thousand deaths wouldn't be enough." Then he joined us, blushing as he became aware of our eyes on him, astonished by his display of pent-up hatred and rage.

Sharmila began to reach out her hand to us in preparation to teleport, when Avani suddenly looked over at her. "Wait... what was that again? What did you say a minute ago? Two houses?"

"Let's get you back to the village, my love. I'll explain after you've eaten and rested," Rishi said, tucking his wife's arm into his. Chanda grabbed Dylas's arm, and Sharmila put her other hand on my arm. We teleported first to the base of the rock, where Baldur sat in the precise spot where I had told him to stay. When he saw his mistress, he wriggled and writhed and whined and whimpered, remaining obedient to my command despite his eagerness to run to Avani. I set her down next to him, and she knelt, burying her face in his shaggy fur as he squirmed like a puppy in sheer delight. Once the wolf's raptures had subsided somewhat, we again teleported, this time into the middle of a large patch of green grass in the middle of a village.

I set Avani down on the soft grass and looked around. The village was set on the side of a hill, with lush growth all around. Trees, vines, small gardens full of fruits and vegetables and gorgeous flowers filled in nearly all the spaces between and around the houses. The houses themselves were mostly painted brilliant colors, like jewels set into a richly-embroidered garden tapestry.